The New SkyView - Featuring SkyView Touch

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Lola,
We will have a plan that allows you to swap out a screen with zero downtime, however this will cost more. We are actually upgrading systems to touch, not giving you a new one and crushing the old one. The turn-around for an upgrade should only be a day or two.

Our goal with the touch upgrade was that the only way you would know a screen is touch is by touching it (well, that and the "Touch" on the bezel). We believe we've achieved that. The brightness is only about 2% less than a non-touch, and the panel is fully optically bonded to prevent unwanted reflections. The top anti-glare coating is the same as what is on the non-touch systems.

We do have a cleaning mode if you really want it (you can disable touch) but we never really did understand why you would want to clean it when it is on.

None of the glass in the system is the proprietary Corning Gorilla Glass. The various properties of Gorilla Glass that make it great for cell phones and tablets aren't quite as useful in a cockpit mounted display.

jc2da

Dynon, I suspect a lot of us will fall into this same boat. At this point, i am planning to add a knob module and auto pilot module to the right side of the display just like you display in your marketing photos.

Thus, do you have any guidance on how we go from our SV10 only mounting hole to one with input modules?

Assuming that we have the room, it seems like it should be possible to keep our existing panels. We just need to expand the hole somehow to the right or left by the 1.8" width of the input module? Then do we need some sort of support angle to sit between the SV10 and the input modules?

I think some sort of guidance would be great for a lot of us who want to retrofit to our existing panels.

Jae

diablouser

I love flying!
Re: Network Cables

I hope you are going to start offering shorter network cables.  Looks like about 1' or less.  When I put my system together I ended up cutting the 3' ones and making two shorter.

Looks wonderful.   Just started flying my dual screen system and might put in an autopilot control panel.

Bruce Patton
RV-10

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Bruce,
We are now offering 18" network cables. 12" is too short to get between two D1000 units side by side, so we felt 18" was the best balance.

Tuiliere

flying a RV7 in France.
Hi Dynon,

It is a pity but I understand. Can yoou tell me if the shipping cost is include in the 795$ ? Because for Europe it is expansive to send a parcel to US. And another question : When you use two skyview screen, is it possible to change only the Master screen ?
Thanks
Sylvain

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Shipping (either way) is not included in the $795 price.

You can upgrade just one screen in a plane if you wish. Touch and non-touch screens are compatible.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Thus, do you have any guidance on how we go from our SV10 only mounting hole to one with input modules?

Assuming that we have the room, it seems like it should be possible to keep our existing panels. We just need to expand the hole somehow to the right or left by the 1.8" width of the input module? Then do we need some sort of support angle to sit between the SV10 and the input modules?

I think some sort of guidance would be great for a lot of us who want to retrofit to our existing panels.

Jae,
The cutout is not just a continuation of the D1000 hole. You need to keep metal on the D1000 side for it to mount to, and then cut a hole next to that for each module. Each module needs metal all around as well. You don't see any of this metal since the bezel for the D1000 and the modules cover it up, but it is there as support. Additionally, the holes for the modules are not rectangles.

So, I'm not 100% sure what we can do to help. We have cutout drawings of the modules, and you'll need to find out how to make a cut-out this shape next to your D1000 at the spacing that works for your panel. If there's one thing we have learned in the experimental world- there is no such thing as a template that works for most airplanes- every panel is different!

JTD

For those of us who don't use Ray Allan trim servos, what is the currant limit for a trim motor.  Does the trim power come from the autopilot panel or from an external CB

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The controller has a built-in current limit of 2A per axis. It will not deliver more than this, as it is protected from overcurrent and shorts.

Power for the trim comes externally. You should also use a 3A fuse for one axis or 5A for two. The trim controller will work even if SkyView is turned off.

markdille

I love flying!
When you say the trim function on the Autopilot module can handle elevator AND aileron, will that module be a different revision, one in which the Nose Up and Down buttons are split into four smaller buttons to accommodate the Left/Right functions? 

Mark,
The NOSE UP/DOWN buttons are autopilot commands, that have nothing to do with trim. You use these when you are in VS or IAS mode. If you are climbing towards an altitude and want to climb faster, you press NOSE UP and it increases the VS target by 100 FPM.

The trim controller has no exposed buttons on the AP panel. You have to wire in switches to your stick or panel for trim UP/DOWN and/or LEFT/RIGHT.

All AP modules support two trim axes. If you only want to use one, just wire one up.

I see. Thanks, that makes complete sense. Hmmm, too bad you guys didn't include another port for flaps. That would be pretty slick.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If you don't use both roll and pitch, you can use the unused axis for flaps, assuming it is less than 2A.

At some point, we can only put so much hardware into a small box at an affordable price!

preid

Very nice upgrade coming up.
With the Vertical Speed Required, there is a mention of descent to altitude, can I assume I can also do this for climbs?. Example is I need to be at 7500 by a waypoint, I see the banana and when I'll reach it but knowing the VSI rate to get there sure would remove finding the right number initially.
Thanks!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
VSR currently only for descents. We don't have a way to set an arbitrary absolute MSL altitude for a waypoint.

Leon_Joubert

I love flying!
Hi Dynon, now that you've created the OS for Touch, how about a facility (driver software) to allow the use of a USB Touchpad?

preid

VSR currently only for descents. We don't have a way to set an arbitrary absolute MSL altitude for a waypoint.

Okay, thanks for response, the banana will be fine! the descent VSR is one of the features I pushed for and am very excited to see it implemented in the next feature. Look forward to testing it in April!

flaude

If the touch screen had a keyboard, it will be difficult not to upgrade!

Whatever a very nice job!