Unofficial Dynon Skyview Update Script for MacOS

robby

Actually question @robby for the charts downloads part of the script- I normally only download western states and mexico. Is the script copying all charts? Meaning I will now be copying over much more then just the western states that I normally have?

edit: looking at the script again - yes that is what it does - I suppose if I really wanted just the sections that I normally load - I could specify them, there is a link that specifies each sectional specifically
Yeah, I have it configured to copy all charts.

I've been working on a script that is based on this original script - but added some features, and handles Charts being on different schedules - some 28 days or 56 - at some point they have two different passwords and fold dir because of the 2 different schedules, and then I also added a bit of a menu to make it easier. Still optimizing it - and fixing a few things.
View attachment 4649
This is cool! I am new to Dynon/SA and did not realize the dates don't always line up (when I built the script, everything expired on the same day).

I am considering just prompting for SA user/password, and doing all the auth and session passing via curl. This way you could skip the web browser entirely, and it can grab the download links and zip passwords directly. It would be susceptible to SA updating their web site, but judging by the design, doesn't look like that happens very often. 🙃

Corefile

This is cool! I am new to Dynon/SA and did not realize the dates don't always line up (when I built the script, everything expired on the same day).

I am considering just prompting for SA user/password, and doing all the auth and session passing via curl. This way you could skip the web browser entirely, and it can grab the download links and zip passwords directly. It would be susceptible to SA updating their web site, but judging by the design, doesn't look like that happens very often. 🙃
I tried for a couple hours to authenticate with curl - the way Dynon is doing the login, I could not get it working. I was planning on doing the same thing as you outlined . But gave up - need to get the script finished at some point

Flying_Monkey

Any chance of developing a GUI for this? I really dislike having to run ChartManager or whatever its called on the VirtualBox windows emulator I have. It is so slow and clunky...but free. LOL i have ZERO interest in owning a dedicated Windows laptop for just this one purpose.

robby

Any chance of developing a GUI for this? I really dislike having to run ChartManager or whatever its called on the VirtualBox windows emulator I have. It is so slow and clunky...but free. LOL i have ZERO interest in owning a dedicated Windows laptop for just this one purpose.
I don't have plans to build a GUI but I'm happy to answer questions for anybody who'd like to.

I think the ideal situation would be to skip a GUI entirely and just have SA host a pre-built image (with nationwide data) each month. I would happily automate this for them -- I've basically already done it but for legal reasons I can't host it. I'll reach out to them if this still seems useful after @Dynon's Oshkosh announcement.

Corefile

I don't have plans to build a GUI but I'm happy to answer questions for anybody who'd like to.

I think the ideal situation would be to skip a GUI entirely and just have SA host a pre-built image (with nationwide data) each month. I would happily automate this for them -- I've basically already done it but for legal reasons I can't host it. I'll reach out to them if this still seems useful after @Dynon's Oshkosh announcement.

We’re you able to get that to work ( authentication via curl ? )

Rhino

Thanks, that was the plan. I'll just prompt for the USB drive letter. I need a Windows user to help test this out. Any volunteers?
If you include the Skyview, I'm definitely in.

Flying_Monkey

Small tease - we should have an update that may be helpful for you guys with our Oshkosh news drop next week.
I saw the announcement of wi-fi loading of chart data to the HDX via FlyQ. It notes that this requires both a SA Chart sub PLUS a sub for the FlyQ app. I recently decided to try to FlyQ app because I am not stoked about paying Foreflight prices but the flight planning was still pretty clunky and the weather briefing leaves a lot to be desired. Not sure I'm going to sub to that app just to be able to send charts wirelessly although dont get me wrong i LOVE that solution and have been wondering for a long time why we are still limited to USB sticks on all these wi-fi capable devices. So that's super awesome. I wish there were a way to load the data in without the additional cost of the app subscription. Or maybe I am misunderstanding it? I'd be down for a one time app fee for the ability to just side load the data wirelessly.

Corefile

I saw the announcement of wi-fi loading of chart data to the HDX via FlyQ. It notes that this requires both a SA Chart sub PLUS a sub for the FlyQ app. I recently decided to try to FlyQ app because I am not stoked about paying Foreflight prices but the flight planning was still pretty clunky and the weather briefing leaves a lot to be desired. Not sure I'm going to sub to that app just to be able to send charts wirelessly although dont get me wrong i LOVE that solution and have been wondering for a long time why we are still limited to USB sticks on all these wi-fi capable devices. So that's super awesome. I wish there were a way to load the data in without the additional cost of the app subscription. Or maybe I am misunderstanding it? I'd be down for a one time app fee for the ability to just side load the data wirelessly.
Also I’m guessing the Skyview software has to support it and the certified HDX software has not been updated since 2019….

Flying_Monkey

Also I’m guessing the Skyview software has to support it and the certified HDX software has not been updated since 2019….
They have said that an update to certified will be coming very soon. I hope so because I at least want that lightning depiction for ADSB weather! :)

Reaver

Corefile: I suspect that we may be duplicating effort, but I've finished adding in the chart downloads, error handling for the turn-of-year cycles, and software updates. I still am working on automatic handling for when the 28-day and 56-day products are out of cycle, and an efficiency update to prevent unzipping files that have already been unzipped. If you're still monitoring this thread and would like to collaborate on this, please send me a DM.

robby

We’re you able to get that to work ( authentication via curl ? )
I never got around to it, sorry.

Corefile: I suspect that we may be duplicating effort, but I've finished adding in the chart downloads, error handling for the turn-of-year cycles, and software updates. I still am working on automatic handling for when the 28-day and 56-day products are out of cycle, and an efficiency update to prevent unzipping files that have already been unzipped. If you're still monitoring this thread and would like to collaborate on this, please send me a DM.
Any chance one of you would submit a pull request back to the original project? I'd love to incorporate your improvements.

Corefile

I never got around to it, sorry.

Any chance one of you would submit a pull request back to the original project? I'd love to incorporate your improvements.
Actually I got all of this working, handling dates/ 28-56 day schedules, authentication. The whole shebang. After all that.. I decided the client in a VM was just easier since I was on Linux and also needed to run a vm for Jeppsen updates (avidyne) - and I was always doing these at the same time, the work flow was just easier to use a update windows virtual machine to do them both with.

robby

Actually I got all of this working, handling dates/ 28-56 day schedules, authentication. The whole shebang. After all that.. I decided the client in a VM was just easier since I was on Linux and also needed to run a vm for Jeppsen updates (avidyne) - and I was always doing these at the same time, the work flow was just easier to use a update windows virtual machine to do them both with.
Send me a pull request? :)

Corefile

Send me a pull request? :)
I need to clean it up, and start a new repo, ended up starting from scratch - this is a new code base - nothing in common with code from this thread. I also need to write some documentation for the configuration settings, as well as the dependencies, etc.

n28et

I love flying!
I've been working on a script that is based on this original script - but added some features, and handles Charts being on different schedules - some 28 days or 56 - at some point they have two different passwords and fold dir because of the 2 different schedules, and then I also added a bit of a menu to make it easier. Still optimizing it - and fixing a few things.
View attachment 4649
Hi Corefile, is the above script for Windows or Mac? Not all that computer savvy but I am a SA user running Windows.

Corefile

Hi Corefile, is the above script for Windows or Mac? Not all that computer savvy but I am a SA user running Windows.
It would run with the Windows Subsystem for Linux, I haven’t tested it, but I’m sure once you had all the dependencies installed it would work.

Tom_RV10

Thanks Robby for the script!
I made a few tweaks to the original script to download the FAA database releases and s/w updates for Experimental versions HDX prior to Version 4. Had to use the data by state as I could not get the multi disk image files to work.

Last edited: