I love flying!
CLASSIC HSI!!!!! Circular!!!

Attachments

• Collins-331A-8A-Aircraft-HSI-Course-Indicator-772-5025-001JL.jpg
    Collins-331A-8A-Aircraft-HSI-Course-Indicator-772-5025-001JL.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 187

cvogelfly

I love flying!
The old one (Version 14) Dynon Skyview Circular HSI!!! We want it back Dynon!!

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2016-11-07_at_10_15_58.png
    Screen_Shot_2016-11-07_at_10_15_58.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 164
E

ed.meyer

Can we get the bottom engine band on the 1000T? That would certainly make the oval good for me.

rlallen1

I love flying!
Can we get the bottom engine band on the 1000T? That would certainly make the oval good for me.

You can have the engine on the bottom if you spend 4490.00 for the new flagship model.

As far the as the oval hsi, if this was such a big improvement then why was it not mentioned in the annoucement for the release.

Please, the oval HSI must go... how was this not discovered in beta testing, or was it?

Mark_Dickens

I'm sure Dynon made this compromise to try and keep their software code base as standard as it could across platforms. And this IS a compromise (some might call it a bug), not a feature.  And I'm sure this engendered a lot of passionate discussion in design review meetings and for good reason...the "egg" HSI wasn't a good idea from a user interface perspective.

Aside from restoring the round HSI, I'd like to see new "features" not turned on as defaults. New features should be highlighted as being available in the announcement, but you should be able to upgrade your software and see NO changes to the user experience without turning the new features on intentionally and after understanding them. Just basic user interface design principles that have been around for a long, long time.

J

Jrskygod

I generally fly with 50/50 screen layout. I also fly a bit of IFR. Yesterday i upgraded to 15 and went out and did three approaches. Yes I noticed the slightly oval shape but did not find it anywhere as offensive as some here have indicated. I have flown the Trutrack and disliked it, however their oval shape was significantly more pronounced. I had no problem quickly acclimating to the Dynon display, setting bugs, visualizing reciprocals, and holds were not a problem. I like the larger size that is allowed by the oval as well due to my old eyes. Fly it for a bit and it will be intuitive and not noticed I believe. The HITS is a winner in my opinion and worth the wait. I would like to turn off the airport flags tho as they are distracting and clutter an already cluttered screen. Having the option for the airline type heading display would be very cool in my opinion.

rlallen1

I love flying!
I'd like to see new "features" not turned on as defaults. New features should be highlighted as being available in the announcement, but you should be able to upgrade your software and see NO changes to the user experience without turning the new features on intentionally and after understanding them. Just basic user interface design principles that have been around for a long, long time.

Good point here... I concur with the statement.

dutchroll

Some are happy with it and that's fine. However the rotational asymmetry of an ellipse is not what I expect to see while doing a course intercept or picturing relative bearings in my head particularly when the bit you're looking at is not directly in front. It just deviates slightly from accepted human factors cockpit design principles. Yeah sure, it's not like the end of the world is nigh, but it's still slightly visually odd.

If a 360 deg circular HSI is too small as a consequence of screen layout, then perhaps something has to give (or another option be made available) while trying to avoid distortion of the instrument. Same for the g meter. Dynon have a bunch of talented people there. The way it's turned out is not flight safety critical, but I'm sure they'll work something out.

I think it's a compliment that the product is so good, we're picking on relatively small anomalies!  :)

Langdon

I love flying!
Some are happy with it and that's fine. However the rotational asymmetry of an ellipse is not what I expect to see while doing a course intercept or picturing relative bearings in my head particularly when the bit you're looking at is not directly in front. It just deviates slightly from accepted human factors cockpit design principles. Yeah sure, it's not like the end of the world is nigh, but it's still slightly visually odd.

If a 360 deg circular HSI is too small as a consequence of screen layout, then perhaps something has to give (or another option be made available) while trying to avoid distortion of the instrument. Same for the g meter. Dynon have a bunch of talented people there. The way it's turned out is not flight safety critical, but I'm sure they'll work something out.

I think it's a compliment that the product is so good, we're picking on relatively small anomalies!  :)

For me the point is that if we are not getting the bottom EMS band then there's no reason the HSI cannot be larger and round, that should keep everyone happy. :D

Raymo

I love aviation!
I thought, possibly incorrectly, that the D1000T and HDX could work in the same panel. If Dynon could have made that work, and I think they tried, some remnants of those efforts appear to linger.

They are listening and with any big release, are working diligently to fix bugs (no software is perfect) and continue their great customer service with a great product.

As an A&P and software engineer, I can appreciate both sides of the story. Improvements are appreciated, changes to existing functionality take a beating.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I found what I suppose is a glitch that allows some  HDX functionality on the D1000. Unfortunately it does not allow the EMS screen to resize along the bottom but there's an interesting couple of pages of icon controls. I'm guessing our software is not so different from the HDX which might offer an explanation as to why Dynon are reluctant to change the HSI back to round. Maybe we have the same software but don't have complete access. If this is the case, that Dynon are suppressing the better situational awareness provided by the improved screen layout, then I would be very disappointed. The great thing about Dynon is the continuing upgrade of Skyview via software. If great features are being denied to make the new HDX more attractive then that would be a change in their ethos as far as I perceive it.

Yeah, that's a glitch. How did you get the display to behave that way? Can you email a copy of your exported settings and a link to this thread to support at dynonavionics dot com?

HDX and SkyView Classic&Touch have a rather different screen management / UX paradigms. Though they're from the same family, they're not identical products.

Langdon

I love flying!
I found what I suppose is a glitch that allows some  HDX functionality on the D1000. Unfortunately it does not allow the EMS screen to resize along the bottom but there's an interesting couple of pages of icon controls. I'm guessing our software is not so different from the HDX which might offer an explanation as to why Dynon are reluctant to change the HSI back to round. Maybe we have the same software but don't have complete access. If this is the case, that Dynon are suppressing the better situational awareness provided by the improved screen layout, then I would be very disappointed. The great thing about Dynon is the continuing upgrade of Skyview via software. If great features are being denied to make the new HDX more attractive then that would be a change in their ethos as far as I perceive it.

Yeah, that's a glitch. How did you get the display to behave that way? Can you email a copy of your exported settings and a link to this thread to support at dynonavionics dot com?

HDX and SkyView Classic&Touch have a rather different screen management / UX paradigms. Though they're from the same family, they're not identical products.

Well I'd prefer if you didn't fix it but made it a new feature. If you select User Waypoints under the Map menu then hit the return button on the screen, possibly only works with the touch, then a window appears with Icon controls. If you return from that screen it brings up the HDX layout.
You really should make this available to your customers, save hardware improvements for those yet to purchase. If you want an extra return for your efforts then license the improvement for those wanting it. Let's know if you still require a download.

Sorry I didn't read your post fully. I will do the settings backup and send the link when I'm next at my aircraft.

Langdon

I love flying!

I'm sure you are correct but that does not stop the HDX software working on the Touch as is evident by the glitch. All the Icons worked perfectly, the only thing missing that I would like was the EMS layout, surely this would not be hard to change. The question is, is it the difficulty of doing so or the intention not to improve this aspect of the Classic & Touch for the benefit of the HDX?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
It is more than just the EMS layout, and it's not trivial to change. HDX's interface, from the way you use the menus/knobs, all the way down to the core interface, are quite different than Touch / Classic. It would be a big change to switch it over to HDX wholesale, which is what you need to do to make everything work correctly.

We're generally reluctant to change the core of how products work/look/feel once they're well-established in the field. What we DO try to do is to add features and add value long after customer purchase, but within the product's existing UI/UX framework. We've learned that even small changes in how certain things work or feel can have huge effects among the installed customer-base. In fact, this thread is exact evidence of what can happen when we change a core UI/UX detail and get it wrong once we've done things a certain way over time. This is the by far the largest opinion thread on a feature, and compared to the entirety of the HDX's interface, the oval/circle change is tiny.

One could answer that there could be two product "modes", and while possible, that high downstream support cost.

So to answer your question directly: We try to make every product the best version of itself. SkyView Touch has an essential interface that isn't easily compatible with some of HDX's paradigms. HDX has some features that are unique to it, such as the bottom band and a different interface paradigm. So it's not that we want to have this feature exclusively for the benefit of HDX, but that it's inherently a feature of HDX.

Langdon

I love flying!
It is more than just the EMS layout, and it's not trivial to change. HDX's interface, from the way you use the menus/knobs, all the way down to the core interface, are quite different than Touch / Classic. It would be a big change to switch it over to HDX wholesale, which is what you need to do to make everything work correctly.

We're generally reluctant to change the core of how products work/look/feel once they're well-established in the field. What we DO try to do is to add features and add value long after customer purchase, but within the product's existing UI/UX framework. We've learned that even small changes in how certain things work or feel can have huge effects among the installed customer-base. In fact, this thread is exact evidence of what can happen when we change a core UI/UX detail and get it wrong once we've done things a certain way over time. This is the by far the largest opinion thread on a feature, and compared to the entirety of the HDX's interface, the oval/circle change is tiny.

One could answer that there could be two product "modes", and while possible, that high downstream support cost.

So to answer your question directly: We try to make every product the best version of itself. SkyView Touch has an essential interface that isn't easily compatible with some of HDX's paradigms. HDX has some features that are unique to it, such as the bottom band and a different interface paradigm. So it's not that we want to have this feature exclusively for the benefit of HDX, but that it's inherently a feature of HDX.

Well it seems to work fine on mine, the pop out Icon controls worked, I can change frequencies, alter the transponder, manage the engine, weight & balance plus whatever the other controls were, they all work fine. The HDX screen was functioning. Frankly the Icon controls were not necessary for my setup, having the knob and autopilot panels. The only problem was that the EMS screen isn't setup for horizontal.

My take on what the problem is here is that it's not the fact that there has been a change, it's that the change is nonsensical. Whoever saw an oval compass? It's only when you realise that its oval to provide room for the horizontal EMS band that it makes sense. Without it it just looks like a mistake as it serves no purpose. As I've said previously, if it can be argued that the increased width of the HSI is of benefit, then given there's no EMS band you can keep the increased width but make it round as there's plenty of vertical space.
I'm not sure what additional features the HDX can control but given that the HDX controls hidden in my touch control the entire SV system without a problem then it seems to me that the only thing that requires a change is a minor screen layout problem and I wouldn't be surprised if that's lurking in there somewhere but with no link to access it.

cvogelfly

I love flying!
Dynon,

I have two questions:

1) Do you intend to revert the HSI/G-Meter back to the original circular one on all screen layouts (40,50,100%)?

2) If not, how can I install the 14 software version back to my screens?

Thank you!

shenweas

I love flying!
v15 HSI is fine with me. I adapted to it with ease. I would rather you invest the resources in other advancements than change back to the round

Status
Not open for further replies.