VAL NAV 2000 + Dynon Skyview

scrtsqrl

I love flying!
Have very limited space on my panel:

I think a VAL NAV 2000 May actually fit in the lower left hand corner.

Has anyone here integrated a VAL NAV2000 with their Skyview?

If so, how did it go?

Thank you!

jdubner

Has anyone here integrated a VAL NAV2000 with their Skyview?

If so, how did it go?

Yes. Pretty straightforward and nicely emulates the Garmin SL-30 (with one exception: no automatic Morse ID).

It fits in a standard-width avionics rack and connects to power, a SkyView serial port, the audio panel, and an antenna. Of course, the serial port has to be configured correctly in the SkyView setup.

Does Skyview display ILS glideslope?

Yes. Here's a screen capture showing the autopilot flying the aircraft on course and on GS, just inside the FAF.

Joe

scrtsqrl

I love flying!
How is the glideslope displayed on the Skyview when flying an ILS approach?

skysailor

It is shown on the picture above immediately to the right of the HSI. The glideslope is green matching the localizer needle.

skysailor

Calling Dynon Support would yield the definitive answer but it seems to be a serial only connection. As such, it would be sent to an available serial input on the control harness. It may even use the Garmin SL30 control protocol so you would select that as the connection type and set the baud rate. I would assume 9600 baud. Dynon Support will have all of these answers and are very good folks with which to work.

scrtsqrl

I love flying!
Thanks.

I think the VAL NAV 2000 connects via 31 pin connector (Power, Ground, RS232 Tx, RS232 Rx pins) to DB9 RS232 plug (Power, RS232 Rx, RS232 Tx, Ground) into one of the Dynon Skyview network hub ports.

Does that sound right?

Also, what data base do you fly with? The Seattle Avionics?

Thank you!

maartenversteeg

I love flying!
That is not right, the Dynon Skyview hub connects the Skyview networks together, and connects the display, EMS, ADHRS etc. all together but that is not an RS232 connection. The VAL serial connection goes to one of the five serial RS232 connections on the display,

rkorff

I love flying!
It doesn't sound right to me. I don't have that combo, but the Dynon 9 pin network ports are for network only. They are not serial ports. Your serial ports to use are pins 3 & 4 (serial port 1), 5 & 6 (serial 2), 7 & 8 (serial 3), 9 & 10 (serial 4), and 11 & 12 (serial 5) of the DB37 pin connector on the Skyview unit. Usually, serial #5 is used for the Dynon GPS unit. Power for the VAL 2000 should come from a separate source. It is NOT fed from the Skyview system network pins. I use a GNS-430W which feeds info to the Skyview system through an ARINC429 adapter. The SL30 Garmin unit feeds the Skyview as I said above through the serial ports. Don't know where you're located, but the Seattle Avionics data is a real bargain if you wait for the Black Friday sale and buy the lifetime subscription. If you're not US based, then the data is probably not as useful to you as Seattle Avionics doesn't include foreign country data (although it does cover some parts of Canada and the Caribbean). Hope this helps.

scrtsqrl

I love flying!
Aye. Thanks for clarifying.

So the NAV2000 connects to ARINC 429 module...

...429 module to Dynon network hub?

what if my network hub is full? Is there a way to add another?

thank you!

jakej

Dynon network is only for Dynon equipment.
ARINC data is only used with ARINC capable equipment that interfaces with the Dynon SV screen/s via the Dynon Arinc box directly.
Serial data output only devices eg Garmin SL30 & VAL2000 etc connect directly to the serial ports (1 of 5) in the Dynon screens, NOT to the Dynon HUB !! That is clarification. ;)

cbretana

There are no PHYSICAL serial ports. The five "Serial ports" being discussed are five sets of color coded wires on the 37 pin main interface port on the back of the display. look on page 4-21 of the Installation guide, & Table 11.4 on page 23-7 and 23-8. The serial ports on exposed on the pins 3-12 of the D-37M pin main display pinout.

1607453743444.png