Whats next

mmarien

Murray M.
Surely you are not burning 100LL and getting that life out of an O2 sensnor?
Here is a close look at my O2 sensor after ~200 hours.

O2-2.jpg

O2-1.jpg

dancoates

I love flying!
I have a newly installed SkyView that I hope to power up in the next few days. My Installation Guide says that firmware version 5.1 is installed. Do I need to install the intermediate firmware versions (6.0, 6.1, etc.) in serial order or can I go directly to version 7.01?

Bill_H

I love flying!
HMI color Mods

On the EMS page - I would suggest that from an HMI perspective, it would be better if the fully saturated RED and GREEN and YELLOW on the gauges only appeared in that color when the measured value is in that range. When the value is outside the range, the color is instead a fainter yellow, a more rusty or blood red, and a fainter green ( I could provide some RGB values but you get the idea).

The thought is that, at a glance, you do NOT expect to see the bright red and bright yellow at all, and if you do it is indicative of a problem. You EXPECT to see the bright greens. The subdued versions of the red and green and yellow still show you your current proximity to those ranges, if you are not in them.

This is a trend in the process control HMI field. That field has lagged behind aviation terribly, but is catching up. This is likely a good idea to steal "back."

I could do a mockup if you'd like.

rfazio1951

Bill, I do like that idea. It would be a nice feature. In my opinion Skyview's look on the PFD screen & the Map screen is very slick. The EMS page is kind of bla. It needs a better look and better visibility. I find myself trying to force myself to look at each gauge before take off to make sure they are ok. Especially in the 20 percent size. It is probably difficult to have the ability to user customize and a better look? I would also like the gauges to be able to have numbers on the gauges, as discussed before.

Bill_H

I love flying!
Regarding the engine info on the bottom of the screen - I envision a much "less tall" strip. It would be just the height of the button labels, maximum. Or it could be the height of the TOP horizontal strip showing the transponder, radio frequencies, etc. In fact it could just as well be located at the top of the screen as the bottom.

It would just show the label and the number like RPM 2350, OIL-P 45 OIL-T 195. The alarm highlighting of the number would still work and you could highlight it in a background green if it was in the normal range. You would eliminate the analog depiction for the strip.

That would not take away much screen area from the PFD and MAP. I have the 10 inch SV and would probably do my startup using 40-40-20 then switch to the strip when flying. But if I had the 7 inch I would REALLY REALLY like this option!

trevpond

It would just show the label and the number like RPM 2350, OIL-P 45 OIL-T 195. The alarm highlighting of the number would still work and you could highlight it in a background green if it was in the normal range. You would eliminate the analog depiction for the strip.

Spot on Bill, that's what we would like.

regards

Trev :D

Bill_H

I love flying!
One other option about the engine strip. I understand that the programming behind the vertical paging paradigm might be difficult to deal with. But I am sure that by the method mentioned above, (numbers only with highlighted condition info) you could do a vertical engine 10% strip (maybe even less wide that  that) and put it in the cycle. More width for the PFD and Map would really be nice.

The text label world be above the measured value, so two lines per displayed value would be used. But I would prefer, if possible, the narrow horizontal strip option mentioned over this idea, making the pfd and map essentially 50-50 in that mode.

southtarnation

I love flying! Wiring, ...not so much.

Spot on Bill, that's what we would like.

regards

Trev :D

I hade made a post similar to this a week or two ago but couldnt find it when i came back...

I Fully agree based (and on the limitations Dynon has expressed) that this option would be the the berries!!!

Im a 7" user...

mmarien

Murray M.
If the indicator is going to change color depending on the value, how about skipping the numbers all together and just go with panel indicators (idiot lights). They would only come on if there is a problem, just like alarms in the PFD. or simply install the external EMS warning light. You can get a audio warning and the external EMS warning light will come on if something is out of the ordinary. A fuel gauge would be handy. I navigate with the map so the HSI could go. Good place to put the fuel gauge. and oil temp. and maybe the AMP gauge, etc. Just a thought. :)

Bill_H

I love flying!
It takes almost no more room to put the label and value than to create an idiot light. I want to be able to adjust power settings, know fuel quantities not just "low", know if oil p and t is rising/falling. The binary nature of an idiot light means I would keep cycling back and forth to an engine page for these readings, which is what we want to avoid in the first place, while maximizing the map and pfd view.

BTW look at the 40% unmodified PFD view. Look at the top. It is mostly just blue sky. Observe the space available above the tapes. If you juggle that just a bit, move the slip/skid ball down, I think you have room there for these engine readings as a nice rectangular element, maybe 2 rows. PARTIULARLY if the screen is 50-50!

NASA515

I love flying!
OK - here's what I want - not a strip on the bottom (although I'd take it!), but just a tach (or MP) gage that is displayed on the PFD (or, maybe, the Map).

I change altitude or level off and there's a lot of button pushes to just set the power where I want it.

Bob Bogash
RV-12
N737G

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Something to consider: The instrument requirements in FAR 91.205 in the USA requires some engine instrumentation, and fuel level indicators. It's up to you to read the regs and decide if you think this means it's OK to fly a plane that has them in the EMS, even if they are on a hidden screen. I know you will never find a certified device that allows you to hide things like oil pressure, RPM, MAP, fuel levels, etc, and I know for a fact that EASA requires LSAs in Europe to not be able to hide the engine instruments, and we have a way for those SkyViews to be set up so the user can't turn the PFD or EMS off, no matter what they do.

The same is true with the PFD. Probably not legal to fly the plane with 100% MAP up and no airspeed, altitude, heading being shown.

So, in our opinion, idiot lights or just MAP/RPM on the PFD are not OK if the purpose of them is to totally turn off the EMS display. You need to be able to see your required instruments all the time. We're not here to push those rules on you though, which is why our products let you do whatever you want.

The top of the PFD is far from blank. There are warnings that appear there for the autopilot, AHRS cross checking, and TRAFFIC. In fact, we already jam stuff in more than we would prefer at times because we are out of space.

trevpond

I have to say that one line along the bottom with Engine information is fine, particularly when the EMS will issue lights and audio warnings. We need to see RPM, Temps and pressures and of course fuel level.

best regards

Trev ;D ;D

mmarien

Murray M.
The instrument requirements in FAR 91.205 in the USA requires some engine instrumentation
Good point. In Canada:

605.14 No person shall conduct a take-off in a power-driven aircraft for the purpose of day VFR flight unless it is equipped with
  (a) where the aircraft is operated in uncontrolled airspace, an altimeter;
  (b) where the aircraft is operated in controlled airspace, a sensitive altimeter adjustable for barometric pressure;
  (c) an airspeed indicator;
  (d) a magnetic compass or a magnetic direction indicator that operates independently of the aircraft electrical generating system;
  (e) a tachometer for each engine and for each propeller or rotor that has limiting speeds established by the manufacturer;
  (f) an oil pressure indicator for each engine employing an oil pressure system;
  (g) a coolant temperature indicator for each liquid-cooled engine;
  (h) an oil temperature indicator for each air-cooled engine having a separate oil system;
  (i) a manifold pressure gauge for each
    (i) reciprocating engine equipped with a variable-pitch propeller,
    (ii) reciprocating engine used to power a helicopter,
    (iii) supercharged engine, and
    (iv) turbocharged engine;
  (j) a means for the flight crew, when seated at the flight controls to determine
    (i) the fuel quantity in each main fuel tank, and
    (ii) if the aircraft employs retractable landing gear, the position of the landing gear;

and other stuff.

shenweas

I love flying!
Does 91.205 apply to Experimental Category?

The instrument requirements in FAR 91.205 in the USA requires some engine instrumentation
Good point. In Canada:

605.14 No person shall conduct a take-off in a power-driven aircraft for the purpose of day VFR flight unless it is equipped with
  (a) where the aircraft is operated in uncontrolled airspace, an altimeter;
  (b) where the aircraft is operated in controlled airspace, a sensitive altimeter adjustable for barometric pressure;
  (c) an airspeed indicator;
  (d) a magnetic compass or a magnetic direction indicator that operates independently of the aircraft electrical generating system;
  (e) a tachometer for each engine and for each propeller or rotor that has limiting speeds established by the manufacturer;
  (f) an oil pressure indicator for each engine employing an oil pressure system;
  (g) a coolant temperature indicator for each liquid-cooled engine;
  (h) an oil temperature indicator for each air-cooled engine having a separate oil system;
  (i) a manifold pressure gauge for each
    (i) reciprocating engine equipped with a variable-pitch propeller,
    (ii) reciprocating engine used to power a helicopter,
    (iii) supercharged engine, and
    (iv) turbocharged engine;
  (j) a means for the flight crew, when seated at the flight controls to determine
    (i) the fuel quantity in each main fuel tank, and
    (ii) if the aircraft employs retractable landing gear, the position of the landing gear;

and other stuff.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
In the USA, yes.

The Special Airworthiness Certificate issued for each amateur built experimental aircraft
includes specific Operating Limitations. Per FAA Order 8130.2F the Operating Limitations
state: “After completion of Phase I flight testing, unless appropriately equipped for night
and/or instrument flight in accordance with 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR,
day only.”

http://www.eaa.org/sportaviationmag/2011/1103_abea_requirements.pdf

shenweas

I love flying!
Thanks for the clarification. So if it is flown "Day VFR" there is no requirements for instrumentation. With the exception of the ELT as required.

In the USA, yes.

The Special Airworthiness Certificate issued for each amateur built experimental aircraft
includes specific Operating Limitations. Per FAA Order 8130.2F the Operating Limitations
state: “After completion of Phase I flight testing, unless appropriately equipped for night
and/or instrument flight in accordance with 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under VFR,
day only.”

http://www.eaa.org/sportaviationmag/2011/1103_abea_requirements.pdf

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Yep, that is true. If you want a day VFR only plane, then no instruments are required unless they are in your operating limitations.

N941WR

With release 10, will we be able to display the engine instruments on a ribbon along the bottom of the screen and then display the EFIS and moving map above it?