Whats next

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
That is not an addition to version 10. We've had a few requests, but it's a huge change to the way the system works, and we haven't had any real solid descriptions of why this is better than the horizontal bar we have, especially on our system which has a widescreen format. All the systems that do that have screens that are much more square than ours. Do this on our system and you will lose a lot of look-forward range on the map and pitch range on the PFD.

markdille

I love flying!
We rarely dismiss things forever, though some things never get to the top of the list :)

One major issue with EMS instruments as a horizontal strip is that they would eat a bunch of the available vertical space on the PFD, would require substantial rework of the layout (note that there's not a ton of "squishability" in the current layout, and it doesn't quite fit into the current vertial paging paradigm that exists.

Instead of EMS at the bottom, like several have mentioned, it would be nice if it were transparent or ghosted. It could be to the left side on the PFD while also being user configurable only showing the information requested at the time, i.e. info critical for take off may be different than at cruise. The user can toggle between them much like a favorites list on a car radio. This way, no extra real estate is really taken up, but info that is desired can be assessed readily, yet it doesn't clutter or disturb the background because it is transparent and in an area taken up mostly by synthetic vision for perspective.

markdille

I love flying!
One more thing I forgot to mention is the HSI. One thing I really like about the AFS PFD is that the HSI is built into the center of the PFD screen, not separately below it. This may buy a lot of extra real estate and actually be easier to interface with it as an observer/user when acclimated to it. Also, as mentioned about the "radio favorites" interface above, when the full EMS screen is pulled up, those "favorites" ghosted on the left disappear allowing the left side of the PFD to collapse providing the necessary real estate when all three screens are displayed.