ADSB 472

jethound

I have installed the new ADS-B 472 and have several questions.
One the targets seem to disappear. So what are the parameters for the ADS-B to display traffic. On downwind. with another RV on the runway showing up on the foreflight with his ADS-B. I do not see Him?

15 miles from the airport same guy is shooting a GPS approach to Runway 16 at KJZP We are 2400 feet higher and he never shows on the Dynon but is constantly there on the Stratus.

Other times we have aircraft pop up then disappear. all the time we have ADS-B OK
How can it be oK when I don't see the aircraft anymore. Then they show up again ?
Why can we not have our own options in setup to select see everything or limit it. I would personally love to see everything just like my IPAD does with foreflight and a Stratus 2. I am use to seeing it all since we use the same set up on our corporate jets. I am sure guys doing oxygen and 270 knots would like to see everything and not have Dynon preselect it

Thanks
Jack Hunt

rvator51

Skyview doesnt show the targets that are 15 or more miles away and over 5000 ft above or below your aircraft to limit the clutter on the screen. I actually like it and it matches my foreflight since I turn off the "show distant traffic" option on foreflight. Here in the Phoenix area, there is just too much distant traffic showing and it really can clutter up my 7" display. That said, it would be nice to have an option to turn on or off distant traffic.

jethound

Yes I have a great understanding of the ADS-B and its limits. We continued closer to the airport and never picked up the traffic even though he has ADS-B and the Stratus showed him up with His N number. We know this fellow also. Never showed up on the Dynon even when in the pattern only 1000 feet above him and he was on the ground. The Stratus and Foreflight still show ground targets in Brown.

The options to turn on the limits or shut them off would be great. You could also have a filter at 25-50 miles or unlimited or an altitude limit 5 thousand above and below or unlimited.

I have a great time with my wife watching the airliners go over on the foreflight but never see them on the Dynon except when transversing the Atlanta Class B.

Still the problem is not painting targets solidly and having them come and go even within a 10 mile distance and within 1000 feet of the altitude. All the times the Dynon states ADS B Ok and if you check the ADSB page it is receiving information. I figure if Stratus can paint them inside the aircraft with a stuck on ADSB antenna. My ADSB 472 should paint them with a blade antenna. I have the entire FAA report and my system passes their criteria with no faults.

I wish I could remember how to take screen shots.
I am not complaining. I am ever so grateful for the dynon equipment and what it is capable of doing. I just want it to work as I believe it is capable of.

Jack

Raymo

I love aviation!
This would make a nice sticky (hint).

From my cheat sheet:

Installation Guide REV AA

Button 1: Hold to shut down or hold to turn on Skyview - page 3-7
Buttons 1,2,5: Press all together to reboot Skyview - page 3-8
Buttons 2,7: Press together for Screenshot - page 21-2
Buttons 7,8: Hold to enter setup menu. - page 3-9

GalinHdz

This would make a nice sticky (hint).

From my cheat sheet:

Installation Guide REV AA

Button 1: Hold to shut down or hold to turn on Skyview - page 3-7
Buttons 1,2,5: Press all together to reboot Skyview - page 3-8
Buttons 2,7: Press together for Screenshot - page 21-2
Buttons 7,8: Hold to enter setup menu. - page 3-9
Knowing that if the display needs rebooting in flight it will happen at the worst possible moment and I won't remember the sequence, I went one step further. Using a label maker with white on clear tape I printed REBOOT 1-2-5 and placed it just below the display buttons. Always instantly available. You can see the label(s) in this photo:

Completed%20panel%20on%20ground_zpsgu0ffqpz.jpg

:cool:

dwightsmall

I love flying!
I have the same issues as jethound. Traffic disappears a lot. I've installed the 472 dual band and those issues remain. A couple of days ago I switched to a 978 antenna and changed the coax just in case. Today I flew a second round trip test flight between Tucson and Phoenix. I had 99.9 ADSB OK but did have two brief events where it reverted to "TIS OK" and when that happened/happens the ADSB targets disappear. I've worked very hard to trouble shoot this and I'm beginning to think that this lapse may occur when my receiver switches from one ADSB tower to another. This lapse always occurs in nearly the same place which is about midway between Phoenix and Tucson. It has happened other places too but not with any pattern or regularity. The jury is still out but I've made two flights with the new 978 rod antenna and it seems to be better. Today I had ADSB OK all the way to touchdown. I have also flown tests with another 1090ES dual band airplane. He has a Grand Rapids installation. We were within 7-10 miles of each other and could not "see" each other. That was disappointing because we should be able to see each other via 1090 direct, airplane-to-airplane. I also went to setup in flight (buttons 7&8) and checked the setup>ports>port 1 which is the port that the 472 uses. I noticed that I was accumulating about 1 "sentence error" every couple of seconds. The ration of sentence errors to "good sentences" is low and one of the Dynon employees has said that that shouldn't be a problem. Like jethound I want the system to work as close to perfectly as possible.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So seeing occasional TIS OK, even in good ADS-B coverage areas, isn't super unexpected, as it's is the second highest priority traffic mode after ADS-B OK. To have ADS-B OK, you need to have ADS-B ground station coverage, and the ADS-B system needs to also think that there is radar coverage. This is usually the case, but if you lose the ground station, or if the system isn't reporting radar coverage, you'll drop down to the next most trustworthy source. If you're in a TIS-A coverage area, TIS-A is a portrait of traffic directed to your aicraft that are the most relevant targets as the TIS-A/radar system determines, and this is judged to be more trustworthy than partial ADS-B that may be missing aircraft.

dwightsmall - is your installation a completely new one or a -470 to -472 upgrade?

All of that said, we're seeing enough reports about traffic issues with the SV-ADSB-472 that we're doing a deeper dive to see if there's anything systemically going on here.

mrdaud

Hey GalinHdz, I think you need another display in your cockpit!   ;D ;)

kurtfly

I love flying!
Dynon,

I also recently upgraded my ADS from the 470 to the 472 and notice traffic blinking on/off the display. I never noticed this with the ADS470 so I feel it is related to the above posts. I am planning on flying to Oshkosh later this month and will get a lot of flight time to experience this. If you need any specific screen shots or data dumps let me know and I will attempt to supplement your data.

SV1000T, SV 261 Transponder, ADS472, GNS430W.

Schorsch

My traffic ADSB reception definitely got worse with the switch from 470 to 472. Stratus traffic keeps working well as in the past, receiving 2+ towers Without additional antenna. Skyview repeatedly switches to TISB or NO RADAR (20 miles from major Class B with tons of radar), fails to paint traffic in range, often intermittently, even at high altitude with 6 towers receiving on Stratus.  have diag file.  Now I'm militant about Stratus iPad and chargers.

Can I have my 470 back and my downgrade money?  Or FIRM ASAP timeline for fix even with your backlog such as user documentation version 15 manuals?

dwightsmall

I love flying!
I upgraded 470 to 472 and installed 978 antenna. I am on a trip now having flown from Tucson to South Dakota. ADSB OK coverage seems better than last year but does drop to TIS, usually for only a few seconds, when I don't think it should such as in or near Class C airspace, i.e., Omaha. A few times it went, for short periods, to ADSB NO RADAR when I'm pretty sure i was in radar coverage and altitude areas. I suspect that some interruptions may have occurred when my Dynon was leaving one ADSB tower's jurisdiction and entering another's. Overall the ADSB OK status was good so I'll estimate it at 95% in areas and at altitudes where coverage could reasonably be expected. I haven't yet determined if I've observed any 1090 traffic (airplane to airplane direct). If I understand the system correctly, I think I would need to be in a non radar area/below radar to make this determination.

jethound

Thanks for working on this. I understand that you can still get into areas at a low enough altitude that the ADS-B does not pick up. But like I stated, it is when I am at 9000 feet ATL MCN CHS a good route where there are a bizillion ADS-B transmitters and were still getting dropped planes on the display. The whole kicker is that Foreflight stratus is dead solid all the time on traffic in the vicinity of my plane.

I though it was the coax. I ran a new run of coax but still works the same.
The transponder hits on flightplan.com are consistent and show that My plane is getting hit by ADS-B center tracking all the time. It shows the centers and the time intervals.

Thanks for working on the problem.
Jack

jethound

We will be headed to Oshkosh on Friday the 21st. hope some of you guys make it over to homebuilt camping.

Jack
Hospitality greeter.
N507H

A

alexe

Dynon - I'm using the stock antenna that came with the ADSB470 as supplied by Van's for the RV-12.
Alex

swatson999

For those of you experiencing issues with the SV-ADSB-472 - what antenna are you using?

TED transponder antenna. Have seen momentary drop-outs, but haven't been paying enough attention to characterize them (other than they're happening in airspace that is WELL covered by radar and ADS ground stations....greater L.A. area).

Schorsch

The same antenna that worked just fine with the 470 - looks the same as transponder's