ADSB 472

kurtfly

I love flying!
I am using the TED antenna for my ADS 472. I notice lower performance with the ADS 472 vs. ADS 470. I see traffic blank in and out often. Also, see screenshot of the full USA weather with a lot of holes in coverage. Looks like the receiver is loosing lock and dropping data. This was an 1 hour flight in the Ft. Worth, Texas area all at 4500 feet. Should have great ADS B coverage.

Attachments

• screenshot-N122KR-SN21163-15_2_0_4389-20170714-143840-434-en_US.png
    screenshot-N122KR-SN21163-15_2_0_4389-20170714-143840-434-en_US.png
    571.8 KB · Views: 142

GalinHdz

I just did a trip between St. Augustine, FL and Fayetteville NC between 7,000 and 8,000ft and noticed the same issue with my recently installed 472. I had never noticed this with the 470 before, but then again I wasn't really looking until I started reading this thread. Except for the mounting bracket and the 472 unit, I used the same wiring, cables and antenna used by the 470 since 2013.

FWIW I am using the Advanced Aircraft Electronics High Gain (L2) Transponder Antenna in my fiberglass airplane.

11-04212a.jpg

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/antennasystems1.php?clickkey=4083

:cool:

mitch757

After upgrading to the -472 on my RV-12, I also get traffic drop outs even at very close range.  The antenna is the one supplied with the RV12.

Also the weather is slower to appear and has some dropout or holes in the depiction.

My Skyview is running v15.2.

GaryK

I love flying!
I know Dynon said they are looking into it but if this continues I would really like to get my 470 back until the problem is resolved.

The 470 was much more consist. I fly from GRR in MI to ARB on a regular basis. Never lost ADSB in 2 years flying with the 470. the 472 is very inconsistent, several times in a 40 minute flight the ADSB drops out.

Would really like to get an update from Dynon..

Thanks
Gary

turbopilot

When the 472 was first released there was a discussion here about the potential for transponder interference given the 472 now includes 1090 and the 470 does not.

I wonder if the 472 is more sensitive to this problem?

W

William_Ince

Who is the contracting manufactuter that fabricates the 472 for Dynon?
Answer:  uAvionics

Next question:  Who was the manufacturer of the outdated 470?

E

ed.meyer

I too seem to be having issues with the ADS-B 472. Twice recently I have been in the pattern at my home airport which is outside of ADS-B ground transmission coverage, and airplanes that were following me in the pattern did not show up but, after landing and taxiing on the parallel taxiway, then they did show while on final and on the runway. The first time was a small airplane and I don't know if it was ADS-B out on 978 or 1090. The second time was a bigger high performance airplane which would have been 1090 since it operates at the flight levels. I have the Ted UAT antenna.

dwightsmall

I love flying!
I recently installed the Dynon 978 antenna. Perhaps just a wee bit better but jury is stiii out.

GalinHdz

Also, I only see ADS-B weather with the FltPlanGo App (no traffic) if I use <CUSTOM - PORT 4000> as the ADS-B input not the DYNON selection. Weather displays fine but absolutely no traffic even though I am seeing traffic on my SkyView display. When I connect to a STRATUX receiver everything displays correctly.

:-?

cbennet12

Any update on this? Any guidance you can give re: the likely hood that any problem would be corrected via a Skyview software update versus a non software change to the 472 box?

I'm installing the 472 as we speak and would love to avoid pulling it back out for an update.

Thanks!
Craig

mrdaud

Was told by Dynon at Oshkosh they hope it is a software update, but it may take a while to figure out. In the meantime, they have suspended sale of the 472 in case they need to make a hardware fix. I too hope it is a software fix as I have to pull my entire panel out to access the box. About 2 hours of work, and then my plane is grounded until i get a replacement box because it is too much trouble to reinstall the panel, then remove again. Fingers crossed!

airguy

Was told by Dynon at Oshkosh they hope it is a software update, but it may take a while to figure out.  In the meantime, they have suspended sale of the 472 in case they need to make a hardware fix.  I too hope it is a software fix as I have to pull my entire panel out to access the box.  About 2 hours of work, and then my plane is grounded until i get a replacement box because it is too much trouble to reinstall the panel, then remove again.  Fingers crossed!

The online Dynon store says it's "Out Of Stock"....

Dynon - care to comment on this? Anything you can share at this time?

jacktunnell

I love flying!
I assume that those of us on the waiting list for a 472 are now on hold until this is resolved.

I'm also using an AAE - L2 antenna and receiving fine with my 470.

dwightsmall

I love flying!
I was one of the first to install the -472 and now have about 35 hours with the new receiver. I was still getting dropped traffic and the display occasionally reverted for short periods to TIS OK so I now have taken extra steps to optimize the system. I installed the Dynon 978 rod antenna and I located it at a point 2' forward of the tail wheel. It was previously located just forward of the landing gear and just aft of the engine. I then moved the xponder antenna from forward of the tail wheel to just forward of the main gear (I swapped the two antenna's positions). I made this change because I read in AOPA that Alaska pilots have found that ADSB antennas work better if located near the tail on tube and fabric airplanes. I have made 3 flights now in this configuration and it works better. It still occasionally reverts to TIS OK but only for very brief periods none of which have been more than 8-9 seconds and most are only 1 or 2 seconds and, most importantly, it has not dropped any displayed traffic.

mrdaud

Anyone having issues with ADS-B weather with the 472? My original 470 seemed to work well; however, installed the 472 and flew the aircraft on first 472 flight from NC to FL last Monday. Flew VFR, but the weather was pretty bad. Didn't see any traffic, but with the bad weather, was not too surprised; cannot report on any traffic issues. What was of concern was observing obvious nearby thunder storms west of track, but no depiction showing on the weather overlay. Any 472 weather experience from anyone?