ADSB 472

airguy

airguy - As Ray said, weather is broadcast all of the time, so it should "just work". We do think that the software update we'll have available soon is likely to solve this issue. Actually, there's a bit more indication that software may be able to solve a lot more than we thought it could even a couple of weeks ago.

That sounds promising - perhaps good enough to head off a possible hardware fix?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
That sounds promising - perhaps good enough to head off a possible hardware fix?

That is not clear yet. As previously stated we think the software upgrade will be a big improvement. We continue to move forward with a hardware modification as well, just in case.

airguy

airguy - As Ray said, weather is broadcast all of the time, so it should "just work". We do think that the software update we'll have available soon is likely to solve this issue. Actually, there's a bit more indication that software may be able to solve a lot more than we thought it could even a couple of weeks ago.

Mine does not work reliably above about 12,000' AGL - now I'm wondering about my antenna and coax on the receiver, I may need to check that.

Garrett

I love flying!
I am using a Garmin 696 with a GDL39 for backup and it works, traffic and weather. It shows at least 10 ground stations in Florida where I am based and starts loading the weather immediately after takeoff the GDL39 is just sitting on the floor under the copilots seat using its own antenna.

rleffler

I love flying!
I’m an AFS 5500 and Navworx ADS600-B user looking for a new ADSB solution.

At the moment I have two options.

1. Take advantage of the Dallas Avionics deal for Navworx customers that expires on 12/31 to purchase an ECHOuat.

2. Purchase a AV-ADSB-472 and AV-XPNDR-261, which at the moment is my preferred choice.

However, reading the thread here, it appears that the 472 is in a state of limbo at the moment with undocumented issues and no announced resolution date to those issues.

I was hoping to make a decision this month, but it’s next to impossible to go with the Dynon gear with the state of the 472 unknown.

What can share with me to help me with this decision?

Thanks,

Bob

thibault

Bob,

Is display of ADS-B In data on the instrument panel required?

I have full Dynon equipment, with a Garmin 430W and Dynon 261 TXP for out and an ADS-B receiver feeding an iPad for in. I already had the iPad for charting, so to me it was the most natural. Besides, I did all this before the Dynon receiver was available.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
2.      Purchase a AV-ADSB-472 and AV-XPNDR-261, which at the moment is my preferred choice.

Bob, The SV-ABSB-472 is a very important product for Dynon. We had a glitch in a component that, in some installations, did not work as well as we intended. We have been working to fix the problem, and have both software and hardware improvements near completion. Since you are looking for advice, our suggestion is to hang on just a little longer and we will have the best ADS-B IN solution for you. (I can't say exactly how much longer, as we will want to prove them out completely before releasing. But getting close.)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Is display of ADS-B In data on the instrument panel required?

Do you mean required by the FAA? No, and in fact you do not have to have ADS-B IN at all, either on your panel or on a portable device. It is an optional, albeit incredibly valuable, benefit of ADS-B.

Schorsch

(I can't say exactly how much longer, as we will want to prove them out completely before releasing. But getting close.)
I disagree with your “proving out completely” which didn’t happen the first time around. It’s really broken now - and probably most folks here are willing to help testing a beta-release. Dynon did better than this on the last bigger software snafu with multiple releases within weeks. Please let us help AND benefit from bug fixes much faster.

swatson999

(I can't say exactly how much longer, as we will want to prove them out completely before releasing. But getting close.)
I disagree with your “proving out completely” which didn’t happen the first time around. It’s really broken now - and probably most folks here are willing to help testing a beta-release. Dynon did better than this on the last bigger software snafu with multiple releases within weeks. Please let us help AND benefit from bug fixes much faster.

Guess you're just going to have to continue to use your Mark I eyeballs to look outside for a while longer. :)

n456ts

Do not write below this line
Guess you're just going to have to continue to use your Mark I eyeballs to look outside for a while longer.

Eyeballs don't cost $775 and if you think you're seeing traffic with your eyes as good as a ADS-B IN system (which functions), then you're fooling yourself. You seem to hold Dynon to a much lower standard then others. If you're a Dynon fan, you should be holding them to a very high standard and not accept poor performance.

swatson999

Guess you're just going to have to continue to use your Mark I eyeballs to look outside for a while longer.

Eyeballs don't cost $775 and if you think you're seeing traffic with your eyes as good as a ADS-B IN system (which functions), then you're fooling yourself.  You seem to hold Dynon to a much lower standard then others.  If you're a Dynon fan, you should be holding them to a very high standard and not accept poor performance. 

I do hold them to a high standard, but not a ridiculously high one. They make an excellent product and have a good track record of customer service. We didn't even HAVE this capability just a couple of years ago, so I'm not too worked up if they have to solve a technical issue and it takes some time. In fact, I'd rather that they fix it right than fix it quick.

And a couple of people here have been riding their @ss since the problem was first identified, apparently thinking there should be some near-instantaneous solution.

I'm quite sure they're working hard on the solution, and it will be ready when it's ready.

mrdaud

OK, I held my tongue yesterday, but enough is enough. Obviously, the individuals that are complaining have absolutely no clue what they are talking about when it comes to electronics and troubleshooting. Especially, when it involves antennae and wave propagation/transmission theory. It can be very complicated and take awhile to fix. As an example of complexity, just to take a wave propagation course at Rice University (pretty good engineering school) at the undergraduate level, one must have already taken multivariable calculus and calculus IV classes. THIS IS NOT NECESSARILY A TRIVIAL ISSUE. I also suggest that if you don't like the pace of the fix, sell your Dynon on eBay and go spend $40K on a Garmin system!

airguy

OK, I held my tongue yesterday, but enough is enough.  Obviously, the individuals that are complaining have absolutely no clue what they are talking about when it comes to electronics and troubleshooting.  Especially, when it involves antennae and wave propagation/transmission theory.  It can be very complicated and take awhile to fix.  As an example of complexity, just to take a wave propagation course at Rice University (pretty good engineering school) at the undergraduate level, one must have already taken multivariable calculus  and calculus IV classes.  THIS IS NOT NECESSARILY A TRIVIAL ISSUE.  I also suggest that if you don't like the pace of the fix, sell your Dynon on eBay and go spend $40K on a Garmin system!

Amen. Preach on.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Guys, let's tone this down a bit.

It's fair that a Dynon customer is disappointed in the delays on the 472. We are too here at Dynon. While ADS-B is optional, it's a great technology that has become pretty standard, and it's hard to fly without once you are used to it, and fair that you're annoyed if you spent good money on it and it's not working right. The issues with the 472 are not present on all devices to the same level, so different customers are experiencing it differently. Thus some may be having a more frustrating experience than others. Which of course is also partially why it took us a while to find the issue and we didn't identify it before the original shipments.

We originally believed the 472 could only be improved with a hardware change so we were focusing on that. We've had a bunch of revisions we've tested to get to something that is a world class ADS-B receiver that our customers expect. It's been uniquely hard to accomplish, and we've had someone working full time on it for months. In working on those revisions, we have recently found that software is a primary cause, and have a promising fix there. But we can't just roll this out instantly, as the 472 uses a different software updater than other devices, so we're in the process of writing that loader for SkyView. There are current beta test units out there, but they've all been manually updated here at Dynon.

So, we're working our hardest, and I hope Dynon's history gives everyone faith that we'll make this right. We get the frustration and haven't forgotten about you.

Schorsch

Thx for the update, Dynon. Shame on that overhyped venture-capital outfit uAvionix for their non-performance in so many respects. I’m here to help beta-test after you got the loader coded that uAvionix should have provided in the first place.

GalinHdz

OK, I held my tongue yesterday, but enough is enough.  Obviously, the individuals that are complaining have absolutely no clue what they are talking about when it comes to electronics and troubleshooting.  Especially, when it involves antennae and wave propagation/transmission theory.  It can be very complicated and take awhile to fix.  As an example of complexity, just to take a wave propagation course at Rice University (pretty good engineering school) at the undergraduate level, one must have already taken multivariable calculus  and calculus IV classes.  THIS IS NOT NECESSARILY A TRIVIAL ISSUE.  I also suggest that if you don't like the pace of the fix, sell your Dynon on eBay and go spend $40K on a Garmin system!
I agree 100% with this.

:cool:

mrdaud

OK George, let me get this straight. You continuously demonize and badmouth Dynon throughout this thread, but now you want them to use you as a beta-tester? Really!!!!! I have a few other choice comments for you, but at Dynon's request, I'm toning it down a bit!

airguy

OK George, let me get this straight.  You continuously demonize and badmouth Dynon throughout this thread, but now you want them to use you as a beta-tester?  Really!!!!!  I have a few other choice comments for you, but at Dynon's request, I'm toning it down a bit!

I have a feeling that Dynon already has some beta-testers lined up - and an equally strong feeling that George isn't one of them. ;)

Schorsch

Dear Dynon folks, I appreciate your kind words, understanding, attitude, and fantastic Skyview product. I hope that you will also still consider to give 472 purchasers who chose so a way of going back to your flawless 470 product. I’m not inclined to have uAvionix-anything in my plane or have them make a penny off my purchase.