ADSB 472

Raymo

I love aviation!
Dynon,
Could we PLEASE get the current status on your progress resolving the -472 drop out issues? I posted the same question a week ago, but it was ignored. I'm getting frustrated, especially with the lack of communication on the current status.
Alex

Be patient Alex. No update here means they have no update to provide. I work on these types of problems on a daily basis and they can take a long time to solve. First step is to reliably reproduce the problem so there can be confidence in the solution.

krw5927

I love flying!
In light of having no currently-available ADSB-IN solution to purchase from Dynon, in the next software update can we get the ability to read an RS-232 line from a Stratux?

It's my understanding that Advanced Avionics gear can do this over a wired connection.

jakej

I'm sure DS would let us know if there is a resolution ;)
We need to be patient I'd suggest, nobody needs or wants a product that may have issues that haven't been sorted yet.

A

alexe

Be patient? I think having gone many months with a broken product is more than patient. For the life of me, I cannot understand why we can’t seem to get a simple progress update from Dynon as to where this stands. I have asked for updates several times in this thread, but my questions were completely ignored (except for other users saying “be patient”). This kind of customer service is not what I expected from Dynon. At this point, I really don’t have an indication that they are even working on it. My “patience” has run out! Fix it or refund the purchase price of the -470 & -472 and I will move on with something that actually works.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Here is a link to the current status provided by Dynon. I see no need for them to post "no change" every week.

http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1498669414/54#54

n456ts

Do not write below this line
Here is a link to the current status provided by Dynon. I see no need for them to post "no change" every week.

Check the date on that! If that's the latest update, it's way out of date. I count 43 days. Too much to ask for an update?

We need to be patient I'd suggest, nobody needs or wants a product that may have issues that haven't been sorted yet.

The problem is, what you describe is exactly how Dynon operates and has now for years. Each time, the customer suffers. Personally, I would like to see their behavior change and not release anything that hasn't truly been tested. Everyone has been beyond patient. At this point, suggesting a lack of patience reveals your lack of understanding of the situation. Dynon has cashed out all their patience points. I can't imagine how they're going to enter the certified world acting like this. That said, I'm considering a system for a 172. Shame on me.

swatson999

Wah. ADS-B IN is a new technology, both for the FAA and for all the vendors. Dynon will get it sorted out, and in the meantime, I'm certainly not grounded waiting for them to fix the glitches in their system.

I just fly and *look outside*, with some assistance from the ADS-B-472. If it drops out for a time, it certainly isn't anything I worry about....

airguy

I definitely don't like the delay in fixing the 472 - but I also remember waiting for the new Skyview impatiently, and the 2020-compliant GPS receiver, and the comm radio, and the upgraded autopilot. Each time we were all impatient, and each time they finally came out with a product that I, at least, am happy with.

Yes, I'm upset it's taking this long. Yes, I'm impatient. Yes, I want the final product. And yes, I'm going to continue to wait impatiently because I believe the end result will be worth it.

There is always the alternative - start your avionics company and show them how it's done... :eek:

mrdaud

Guys, getting this fixed can be very difficult.  It has only been a few months.  Some of you who work with electronics such as Jake, I think Steve, and a few others know that radiation transmission and reception can be very complicated.  Take a course in antenna theory and you will see my point.  And as I mentioned in a previous post, you can test the crap out of equipment, but until you get it into the field, you cannot detect every possible issue.  Sometimes a problem won't show up for years.  Again, if you are using the ADS-B for primary avoidance, you are just asking for trouble.  As Steve has promoted, use flight following, your eyes, and what is between your ears, along with ADS-B! :cool:

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So there are a few things going on here, and apologies that we don't have a crisp solution yet. We're also bummed that some of the performance we thought we had here didn't hold up throughout the fleet.

We're working on software updates to both SkyView and the -472 that will improve things. For some, this may be a fix. We don't know for how many of you - it depends on the combination of antenna/airframe/RF characteristics of the install. Simultaneously, we're looking at hardware improvements on the -472 itself.

Finally, while we don't have any new stock of -470s to sell, for those of you that traded in a -470 towards your -472, we're working on a way to get a -470 back in your hands in the interim as a few of you in this thread have requested. More details on that to come - just need to work out the procedures to make it happen.

We don't have exact timeframes to offer yet, but the software update is close (weeks, not months). The hardware changes are still being researched, so we can't yet offer more detail here yet.

airguy

So there are a few things going on here, and apologies that we don't have a crisp solution yet. We're also bummed that some of the performance we thought we had here didn't hold up throughout the fleet.

We're working on software updates to both SkyView and the -472 that will improve things. For some, this may be a fix. We don't know for how many of you - it depends on the combination of antenna/airframe/RF characteristics of the install. Simultaneously, we're looking at hardware improvements on the -472 itself.

Finally, while we don't have any new stock of -470s to sell, for those of you that traded in a -470 towards your -472, we're working on a way to get a -470 back in your hands in the interim as a few of you in this thread have requested. More details on that to come - just need to work out the procedures to make it happen.

We don't have exact timeframes to offer yet, but the software update is close (weeks, not months). The hardware changes are still being researched, so we can't yet offer more detail here yet.

That's good to know - and thanks for the update.

You alluded to some differences on airframe/antenna combinations - it would be quite helpful if you could expand on that a bit, and give us an idea of what is seen as a "best solution" and what to stay away from. Is it a groundplane issue? A lossy coax issue? A particular antenna?

GalinHdz

In light of having no currently-available ADSB-IN solution to purchase from Dynon, in the next software update can we get the ability to read an RS-232 line from a Stratux?
Or better yet, via WIFI??

BTW: Having worked with RF propagation for over 40yrs I can tell you that the problem is always caused by, GREMLINS!!!

1ad5665b6bee07c9f341a81593dafe6c--the-gremlins-halloween-tattoo.jpg

airguy

Dynon - I'm seeing an "issue" with the current version of the 472 that I have installed, running Skyview Classic with 15.2.0 software, that I'm curious if it is something to do with the current known problems with the 472, or something else.

I make a lot of long cross-countries in the mid-to-upper teen altitudes and I frequently see extended time periods, sometimes an hour or more in length, where the screen displays "ADSB OK" but I am unable to get a weather update. Usually upon descending back down through about 10,000' I'll suddenly begin getting the weather updates again - almost like my transponder (using the high-power -261) is not "waking up" the network to transmit the weather data. I can't say whether or not traffic has been missing as well, because there is generally quite little at those altitudes where I usually fly, but the weather missing is obvious. I've never had any reports from ATC about transponder problems.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Airguy,

My understanding is that weather is sent (broadcast) with each update. No need for you to trigger the send. Traffic information, on the other hand, requires ADS-B out ground reception from your transponder.

dwightsmall

I love flying!
Thanks, Dynon, for the update. I've never doubted that you're working hard to find a solution and that there will be a fix. Waiting.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
airguy - As Ray said, weather is broadcast all of the time, so it should "just work". We do think that the software update we'll have available soon is likely to solve this issue. Actually, there's a bit more indication that software may be able to solve a lot more than we thought it could even a couple of weeks ago.