Certified C172L install

Dr.M

status of panel ... to-date... C172L certified install...lots of work between top and bottom pix (attached)

WmInce

I really like that.
Nothing fancy . . . just good, solid equipment . . . simple, practical and straightforward.
I love Skyview . . . for almost 5 years now.
For you . . Dynon newcomers, support is nothing short of awesome!

Dr.M

Awesome! Do you plan for another screen on the right in the future?
Thanx...No, I don't think I need the extra screen (the big screen+GTN650 is prob enough)...however, the is absolutely nothing behind the right panel...so future insertion of 7" would be easy.

Dr.M

Panel Savers episode 2 - Beware: for earlier C172 versions (S/N 17265684 and older) the Dynon tray (which is good idea) won't fit because the yoke is about an inch higher in these models. The sub panel needs to cut just to get the display to fit. The tray shown in the pix, although it looks like it fits. does not because of interfering with the yoke track. Other installation solutions are required for these models. Will show mine in later episodes.

Attachments

Steveden

status of panel ... to-date... C172L certified install...lots of work between top and bottom pix (attached)
Dr M.
I’m going to do the same thing with a 182P. I was wondering where you got your blank instrument panel or did someone build those for you? I’d like to find just the blanks for the 182P, but not sure we’re to look.

Dr.M

Steveden,
I used .090 alum sheet (many sources including Spruce) and cut my own. This is a very thick material and is the same as original material. The good news is that there are very few holes to cut and they are (mostly) square so a scroll saw is what I used. I kept the 3-panel Cessna scheme as shown in this pix. That allows most flexibility and ease of integration. Instead of powder-coating the panels (which is quite popular), I covered mine with hair cell finish ABS which is super durable and is consistent with other interior plastic parts for a more seamless look-and-feel.

Attachments

Steveden

Steveden,
I used .090 alum sheet (many sources including Spruce) and cut my own. This is a very thick material and is the same as original material. The good news is that there are very few holes to cut and they are (mostly) square so a scroll saw is what I used. I kept the 3-panel Cessna scheme as shown in this pix. That allows most flexibility and ease of integration. Instead of powder-coating the panels (which is quite popular), I covered mine with hair cell finish ABS which is super durable and is consistent with other interior plastic parts for a more seamless look-and-feel.
Dr. M
Thx for the info and pics, very nice job!

DarrenF

Dr. M, are you an A&P/AI or are you having someone sign off on this. After getting some estimates from some supposedly soon to be Dynon certified shops, what i have found is that they are pricing this comparibly to a Garmin install, like $60k, instead of around $25k that seems reasonable. If you can have an AI sign off on your work I might pursue that avenue myself, but I don't know if that is legal yet. Any help is appreciated.

-Darren

Dr.M

Darren,
I am using an AI to sign off. Dynon is amenable to that process at this time because they have yet to fully grow their installer network. I have significant personal experience and have installed similar systems before in previous refurbs and building a homebuilt with a glass panel. The difficulties that installers see as risks are probably (1) gutting the old panel and systems, (2) fabricating a new panel, (3) autopilot servos installation (see in process pix below), (4) vacuum system removal, (5) engine sensors installation (see in process pix below), (6) configuration of the Dynon system, and (7) integration with avionics. The Dynon system gives you the opportunity to completely modernize your flight/avionics, remove/rewire old avionics wiring, and get rid of old, cranky autopilots. But all of that requires plenty of tedious work and planning. The good news is that once everything behind the panel is gutted, reinstallation of Dynon network-based components is very straight forward and there is plenty of room to work. Dynon's installation manual has gone through about 3 revisions since I began and they have a few more installation components .. all of which should help for future installers. I have essentially completed the installation and think that $60k is pricey (heck, I'll do it for that). I think an experienced shop could do the Dynon install in about a man-month. A shop who has done the Dynon install before should easily make that estimate. Good luck...let me know how things work out...what model of aircraft are you installing in?

Attachments