Complete System Failure In Flight

jeffa

I did notice, though, that it happened either during or immediately following either syncing or changing the heading bug using my knob module.  Thinking back to my first in-flight lock-up, it's likely I was syncing or changing heading via the knob module then as well.

Interesting. My single lock up also happened while in heading mode, HDG and ALT to be specific. I was either scrolling the heading knob on the Knob Panel or I was still in a turn immediately following an adjustment of the heading knob, I can't remember.

krw5927

I love flying!
Ahh, come to think of it I did have flight director running yesterday during the lock-up.

Perhaps there is a correlation to the FD being in heading mode, and changing headings. Then again perhaps not.

Carl_Froehlich

Any update on the v14 fix - or potential interim fix?

Both of my D1000 displays are in the less that 6000 serial number group.

Carl

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We're still trying to drive to root cause. We have another test version available that isn't as aggressive about rebooting SkyView (some customers were getting false positives - ie reboots that didn't result from an actual issue).

Carl_Froehlich

We're still trying to drive to root cause. We have another test version available that isn't as aggressive about rebooting SkyView (some customers were getting false positives - ie reboots that didn't result from an actual issue).

Thanks - I'll install this new version.

Carl

boehmda

Just a note that we now have a technical service bulletin up on this. It won't be anything new to any of you guys, but we're getting the word in a more formalized way.

Update the title in the document.

Regards Daniel

airguy

And please let us know if you've got a more updated version of the test software, you've got enough interested parties following this thread to give you some good data if we can get the latest software in a timely manner.

I had version 3553 installed when 3558 was needed and we missed a window to see a fault, because I thought 3553 was the most recent. Right now I believe 3563 is the current version, correct?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
As of Thursday, 2016-02-25, 11:30 AM Pacific... v14.0.3.3563 is the most current version.

And please let us know if you've got a more updated version of the test software, you've got enough interested parties following this thread to give you some good data if we can get the latest software in a timely manner.

I had version 3553 installed when 3558 was needed and we missed a window to see a fault, because I thought 3553 was the most recent. Right now I believe 3563 is the current version, correct?

krw5927

I love flying!
Just a note that we now have a technical service bulletin up on this. It won't be anything new to any of you guys, but we're getting the word in a more formalized way.

Update the title in the document.

Regards Daniel

Yep, the title is "Technical Service Bulletin - Heated AOA/Pitot Probe"

I remember when V14 was released, there were a bunch of these kinds of errors in the documents and on the web page.  Doesn't exactly instill confidence when the simple things are wrong.

You might consider offering a "carrot" to the user whose logs "crack the code", so to speak. Perhaps an upgrade to touch screen, a knob module, store credit, etc. It might be a relatively inexpensive way to achieve widespread adoption and use of the new diagnostic versions of V14 and the associated data logs submitted.

dlloyd

If I downgrade to Version 13.03, will the GPS-250 revert to SIL=0 or will it remain SIL=1? Don't want to loose the ability to get traffic.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
As of Thursday, 2016-02-25, 11:30 AM Pacific... v14.0.3.3563 is the most current version.

If you are running 14.0.3.3563 or later and see a System Event 3, please fill out this form and then send us your Dynon Diagnostic File (DDF) - instructions are in the form. Contact Dynon Technical Support if you need help how to retrieve and send us the DDF.

GaryK

I love flying!
I've read all the info on your website about the current issues. I have a question about the options as I have an IFR flight to the Bahamas coming up next week. I've only flow twice with Ver 14 loaded, short flights with no issue. Is there any downside to loading 14.0.1.355? Is there any know button push combination I should avoid.
If the system needs to be rebooted in flight what is the approx reboot time

RV10 with dual SkyvieW
Serial number 3200 and 3204

If I revert to ver13 I loss the traffic, GPS signal is from the GTN650

Tried to call but no one picked up and no VM.

GaryK

I love flying!
I meant to ask if I revert to Ver 13.03 will I loss the traffic if the GPS signal is from the GTN650 not the Dynon GPS-250

From what I read it seemed like it doesn't matter.

Thanks

GaryK

I love flying!
Sorry for the multiple posts. I spoke with Dynon tech support about my traffic question. If I revert to 13.03 I will not loss traffic.

Gary

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
If you don't have a backup independent of SkyView, flying IMC with any current version of 14 should be done only if you're confident that your particular system isn't going to encounter this issue (through experience). Even though the newer test versions of 14 do not result in an unresponsive system when this issue occurs, it can still cause the display to reboot. A reboot takes the same amount of time as a normal boot (a good fraction of a minute).

If you go back to 13.0 but are still using the GTN650 as your ADS-B Out source (directly connected to the transponder), you'll still get traffic. In that case, the SV-GPS-250 isn't being used as your ADS-B position source and the SIL=0/1 issue effectively does not pertain to you.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
There's a new test version of 14 out. This one has a few fixes in a few places that definitely cover vulnerable code, which may or may not include a fix to the issue we're hunting.

Of those of you that have experienced the unresponsiveness / reboots in the past - have any of you had the chance to fly 14.0.3.3563? If you have, what have been your experiences? We haven't received any new diagnostic logs from that version yet, and we're wondering if it's because it hasn't seen service or because you're having better experiences in-flight.

Carl_Froehlich

There's a new test version of 14 out. This one has a few fixes in a few places that definitely cover vulnerable code, which may or may not include a fix to the issue we're hunting.

Of those of you that have experienced the unresponsiveness / reboots in the past - have any of you had the chance to fly 14.0.3.3563? If you have, what have been your experiences? We haven't received any new diagnostic logs from that version yet, and we're wondering if it's because it hasn't seen service or because you're having better experiences in-flight.

Keep in mind the weather on the east half of the country has been bad for over a week - so that may be contributing to the lack of reports. This weekend looks like nice flying weather.

Carl