Complete System Failure In Flight

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We've actually pulled down 14.0 until we have a version with the fix available. So yes, wait until the updated version is out.

The monthly database updates aren't tied to a particular version and can be used with any version of SkyView later than 7.0.

ryanalllen - We're disappointed too. We do a lot of pre-release automated, manual, and flight testing to avoid issues like this. One thing to note is that it's still pretty rare - the people on this thread plus a few others that have emailed or contacted support directly, out of thousands of downloads (and presumed installations) of the update.

n456ts

Do not write below this line
Any idea of the ETA of the updated version for those of us that are flying with v14 already?

And adding to this question, is there going to be an issue updating? Being that the bug appears to be related to accessing USB drives?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Any idea of the ETA of the updated version for those of us that are flying with v14 already?

And adding to this question, is there going to be an issue updating?  Being that the bug appears to be related to accessing USB drives? 

No. The issue doesn't affect the ability to use/read from the drives. It's might be that the presence of a USB stick might be a factor in this issue happening.

airguy

Took my 9A up for it's second flight yesterday, used the autopilot for the first time, and it did an unannounced disconnect on me one time. I was flying with dual SV1000's and had a USB in each one.

RV9APlane

Had another freeze up in flight today. It is definitely related to the MAP and INFO sequence. I did not have any USBs in either time it froze up. Asking again, any ETA for the updated version?

krw5927

I love flying!
I had a complete freeze up in flight yesterday also. During ifr training and under the hood with my cfii. You can't buy a training scenario like that! I was not pressing any map or info buttons. Just changing headings and maybe altitudes with autopilot as I was being vectored for an ILS approach.

That being said, I really hope there is a fix for this very soon. I consider my aircraft no longer ifr-capable while this issue persists. I landed and dumped a diagnostic file to send to Dynon.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We think that the screen freeze issue and the "AP disconnects" issue are separate issues.

We do not require any additional Dynon Diagnostic Files uploaded to us for the screen freeze issue (at least until we have our next release available, which should drop in the morning).

We are interested in receiving Dynon Diagnostic Files uploaded to us for "AP disconnects" issue.

Took my 9A up for it's second flight yesterday, used the autopilot for the first time, and it did an unannounced disconnect on me one time. I was flying with dual SV1000's and had a USB in each one.

krw5927

I love flying!
Any ETA for a system fix for the freeze-up?  If you have that problem fixed, please don't delay the release waiting for the autopilot fix.  The freeze-up issue takes IMC out of the question.  The AP issue does not.

Someone said the fix for the freeze up is already in beta.  Any chance I can be a beta tester for that?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We'll have a release up in the morning that won't completely fix it but will turn the unresponsiveness into reboots and will also make diagnostic logs more useful so that we can get it 100% cured.

DBRV10

Can someone confirm if it is just the one screen being used that freezes….or do all screens on the network freeze?

For those of us who fly IFR all the time this is kind of important.

Is there any chance we can get a roll back to the last version of V13?

RV9APlane

Can someone confirm if it is just the one screen being used that freezes….or do all screens on the network freeze?

For those of us who fly IFR all the time this is kind of important.

Is there any chance we can get a roll back to the last version of V13?

In my case, dual SV1000's, both froze the first time it happened because I forgot the reboot sequence. First the PFD followed by the MFD a few minutes later. About 10 minutes later both screens rebooted themselves much to my relief.

I have had three subsequent flights where I've had freeze ups but I rebooted the PFD immediately and the MFD never froze. For VFR flight it is mostly a nuisance now and annoying but I would never risk IFR flight until it is fixed.

Trust me, I will NEVER forget 1, 2, and 5 again!!! Plus I upgraded my ForeFlight from basic to the Pro Plus to get the synthetic vision and GPS based altitude, speed and heading info as a back up. I'm considering a D2 as well.

krw5927

I love flying!
Contact Dynon support directly by phone or email, David.  I had at one point asked for a roll back and was given instructions on how to do it.  If it's possible to roll back from V14, they'll know.

Russ_Owens

I love Soaring
Coupl'a days ago, I had the same inflight screen lockup on my Skyview 700 while trying to access MAP/INFO/WX as others experienced. Didn't know about the 2,3,5 simultaneous keys to reset the screen. The System reset itself after about 10 minutes, then I stupidly tried it again with the same lockup results. No need for anyone to tell me how stupid this was.
Love the Skyview. I also am interested in downgrading to SV 13 until the problem is SOLVED. Thanks for the Great Support. No need to answer. I'll see what develops here.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
David - There are examples of both. There have been people that have seen both displays become unresponsive, and those where it's only one of the two. We have a 14.0.1 live now that improves but doesn't entirely fix this behavior, but we're also able to provide reversionary instructions for any of you that wants to get back to v13. Shoot us an email at support at dynonavionics dot com.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
As many know, we have had a number of reports where SkyView will become unresponsive to input for a lengthy period of time. In many cases where the user did not reboot the display (buttons 1,2,5) it would remain in the unresponsive state for up to 12 minutes before recovering. Usually, functions such as autopilot remained working but the display and user I/O was useless. Not good. Furthermore, the diagnostic logs from users that experienced this event were not helpful in isolating the offending piece of code.

We created a new version that has added watchdog functionality that will reboot the display if the unresponsive state is detected (within a couple seconds). While a reboot is not ideal behavior it is far better than being unresponsive for 12 minutes or requiring the user to reboot. When this version reboots, it will log the state of memory hopefully identifying the culprit piece of software that is causing this problem.

We are working hard on a solution to the root cause which will result in another software release. Don't be surprised if we release interim versions to gather different diagnostics as we learn more.

Software Download Page

We recommend all v14 users to update to this revision (and future patches). Contact tech support if you would rather downgrade to v13.

K

KRviator

Probably a silly question, but is an in-flight reboot and realign any faster than one conducted on the ground? Just wondering how long the EFIS would be unavailable for should it do one of these automatic reboots.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
KRviator - it will actually be a few seconds longer than a 1/2/5 reboot as it archives diagnostic data. I don't have the hard number on how many readily available though.