Pocket FMS

Jamie

Hello Rong,

Thanks for the update, It now does look a lot better than my jepp base map. I will follow your progress and hope to make the change over soon.
One other thing I see that would be nice to change is that you use FIA and the freq, could you make it read
eg,
BN CEN 125.7 instead of FIA 125.7 as seen in my second photo.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Just to be clear - Ron's screenshot is from the PC-based PocketFMS app itself, which is NOT the way the data would be displayed on your SkyView display.

On SkyView, if you have SkyView with Jepp vs SkyView with PocketFMS, things are displayed in exactly the same way (ie same icons, symbols, colors, etc). It's only WHAT is being displayed that is different (ie, PocketFMS has more smaller and private aiports, as well as other things like reporting points).

rong

I love flying!
Hi Bruno,

A screenshot of the greater Montreal terminal area is attached. I don't have access to a SkyView so it is taken from PocketFMS.

Seeing that there appears to be some sensitivity/confusion about base maps, I've turned off our basemap. Maybe we should have a chat with Dynon to see if we can help out getting a basemap for SkyView  ;)

Cheers,

Ron

Attachments

• montreal.jpg
    montreal.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 82

rong

I love flying!
Hello Rong,

Thanks for the update, It now does look a lot better than my jepp base map. I will follow your progress and hope to make the change over soon.
One other thing I see that would be nice to change is that you use FIA and the freq, could you make it read
eg,
BN CEN 125.7 instead of FIA 125.7 as seen in my second photo.
Jamie, the FIA's are tagged with the description exactly as you requested. In the image I posted the freq is tied to the airport and because there can be several it is kept brief. But you can also query airspaces and in that case you would see the entire description including the ATC service name.

Bruno

Hi Ron
           Thanks for the info..

There's quite a bit of data on the shot so it looks promising..

I don't fly in the winter so I'll have a closer look in the spring and make a decision on which one is best suited for me...
Hopefully I will get a screenshot of a Skyview with PocketFMS installed by that time..

Cheers

Bruno

clearprop

Hah Hah! I too would like a screen shot of North Eastern Coast of Australia so I might be able to compare it with the Jeppesen data I have on the SV. It might be a waiting game between you and me installing the pocket FMS data. If you go first, please upload said screenshot. I think my annual subscription to Jeppesen expires in May 2012.

rong

I love flying!
Hi clearprop,

Looks like nobody is jumping in with a SkyView screengrab of FNQ, so here's one out of PocketFMS. Important to note that this is to illustrate the PocketFMS data content rather than how it might look in SkyView.

If your interest is further up, in Cairns say, let me know, although the easiest way to check out the data is to download the free PocketFMS trial. Then you can look all over the country.

Cheers,

Ron

Attachments

• townsv.jpg
    townsv.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 96

Bruno

Ron
      Are you the person we need to send airport data to if we want our ''private ''airport added to the PocketsFMS database...??

Thanks

Bruno

rong

I love flying!
Bruno, there is a country specific reporting system at http://navfarm.pocketfms.com/2-ContactAirmarshal.asp For Canada you can also contact me directly at ron dot grenfell at pocketfms dot com

Regards,

Ron

Ron
      Are you the person we need to send airport data to if we want our ''private ''airport added to the PocketsFMS database...??

Thanks

Bruno

Bruno

Hi Ron
        Sorry for the late reply,I've been a tad busy..

Ok I'll have a look at the web site or will contact you directly..

Thanks

Bruno

Bruno

Hi Ron & Dynon Support
         When downloading PocketFMS for the first time after purchasing it, do I installed it on my desktop fisrt then transfer the data to a USB stick to install later in my Skyview or do I just download strait to the USB stick..

Anything special we need to do to get it to work once installed??

Thanks

Bruno

trevpond

Hi Bruno,

Just download it straight to the USB Stick. Don't forget to download the two separate databases, i.e. Aviation and Obstacle. Load databases in the usual way in the setup menu.

Make sure you have V3.3 installed first and you should have no problems.

regards

Trev ;D ;D

Bruno

Hi Trev
            I didn't know the databases were split, so I'll make sure to download both of them..

I will be installing 3.3 next time I'm at the airplane ( tomorrow..)

How do you like the PocketFMS presentation, does it look like the screen pictures we see on the forum occasionnaly??

Thanks

Bruno

Bruno

Hi Guys
         I just downloaded both databases and I'm wondering that once I'm ready to install them in my Skyview, is there a requirement to upload the FAA's databases too or are they useless now since I have the PocketFMS ones ??

Also ..I had a look at the PocketsFMS program installed on my desktop :eek: :eek:WOW..Is there anything I can do with it or is it required to keep on to download my future databases??

I don't think I need it but what do I know...

Thanks

Bruno

P.S: Promise I will leave you guys alone once the flying season starts around here.. ;)

trevpond

Hi Bruno,

The presentation is not like the Pocket FMS full computer planning software like a couple of the examples above, rather it is like the Jeppesen Aviation/Obstacle display that you may be used to during your trial period.

However, Pocket FMS data includes a lot more airports and Navaids than are present with the Jeppesen Information is is of a lot more use for VFR Flying.

Enjoy

Trev ;D

rong

I love flying!
Also ..I had a look at the PocketsFMS program installed on my desktop :eek: :eek:WOW..Is there anything I can do with it or is it required to keep on to download my future databases??

I don't think I need it but what do I know...

Thanks

Bruno

P.S: Promise I will leave you guys alone once the flying season starts around here.. ;)

Hi Bruno,

You could use PocketFMS to create flightplans you then import into the SkyView. Export them as GPX and the SkyView should accept them.

Regarding special stuff, I have had one user (dual panel) who had difficulty installing over an existing Jepp database. The docs say the new will overwrite, but it was necessary to delete the existing database before loading the new.

Cheers,

Ron

Bruno

Hi  Trev & Ron
I installed the database yesterday and as you mentioned Trev they look the same as Jeppensen

Ron,PocketFMS did overwrite the FAA's databases without any problems at all and they do have way more info..they have airports around here I didn't know existed

Thanks

Bruno

rong

I love flying!
Bruno, in the last month we've been adding MF zones and ATF corridors to the Canadian data. Be sure to generate a fresh database next week after the cycle change.

Ron

Bruno

Hi Ron

I've installed PocketFMS on my computer but everytime I tried to download aerodata to it,it either hang up or crash

Is there anything I can do short of uninstalling the program and loading it again??

Thanks

Bruno

rong

I love flying!
Hi Bruno,

There's no obvious reason why that should occur. You previously reported the system was working OK, and I've justy downloaded Canadian data without any problems.

email me and we can try and step through your hardware setup to try and identify where the problem is.

ron dot grenfell at pocketfms dot com

btw, PocketFMS specific issues are best reported to http://www.pocketfms.com/phpBB3/ which is more closely monitored