Sending Flight Plans to Skyview.

AlanR

Have you run a test on the P1 screen backup battery ?

Not recently no....Tested about 7 or 8months ago and was ok then. I will redo the battery test and see what I get.
Thanks..

AlanR

I ran the backup battery test and it showed as successful..greater than 45minutes.
So looks like I am stuck with the workaround unless anyone as any other ideas to try. :(

Raymo

I love aviation!
I suspect that the issue relates to having only one backup battery. If I recall, the system wants to see both screens online before it will allow network communications.

I recall seeing a network related error when I switched off one of my screens because the system expected both WiFi adapters to be online.

AlanR

One screen on-line or two screens on-line unfortunately seems to make no difference to the length of time it just hangs 'Waiting for Skyview'. Eventually, sometimes longer than others it eventually changes to 'Send to Skyview'.
The workaround..boot up and do all the flight plan stuff on the ipad before engine start or booting up the Skyview screens seems to work better. Even this way a couple of times recently it hangs a few minutes I am now finding.
The problem is always from first engine start/boot up of the day. Second or more flights it works immediately.

AlanR

I raise this yet again in the vain hope that someone has the answer or has come across something similar.It has been going on for a long time now and seems to be getting worse!...Transferring Flightpans from Pocketfms to Skyview.

The problem I posted back in 2016 as the original poster of this thread continues...

I have flown today. It now hangs for ages showing 'Waiting for SkyView' I have 2 x Dynon Skyviews and they both have the Dynon WiFi dongles and show that the Wi-fi is active and turned on. I flew for 1hour and on shutdown it still showed 'Waiting for SkyView'.
I had lunch and then for the return flight I loaded up the Flightplan and it immediately changed to 'Send to SkyView' as it should and worked perfectly...so frustrating!..I just don't understand it!. The transfer of the flightplan is important to me because I run my Autopilot from the Flightplan in the Dynon Skyviews.
The problem seems to be from initial cold startup. Once things warm up or time goes by it works perfectly....every time!

The Ipads...I have two iPad Mini2's, they both do the same thing. I do not have Sim cards in them and so are not connected to any mobile network provider.
In Pocket FMS EasyVFR Dynon Menu settings 'Heartbeat Port'settings shows as 8384 whatever that means and the 'Command Port' shows as 64099. Do these seem right?

When it is showing 'Waiting for SkyView'.....The ipadMini2 is NOT showing as connected to SkyView...It is searching but cannot find even though in SkyView WiFi is shown as active and turned on.
I am wondering if I should buy two replacement Dynon WiFi dongles on the basis that one of them maybe be faulty?

I am at a loss to get to the bottom of this issue so any ideas however far fetched they may seem I will try.

I have also once again posted this again on the Pocket FMS forum.
https://www.pocketfms.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=10511
The problem is either the Dynon dongles or the App or the way I have it set up. Someone must have the answer?
Help please...

Alan.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We've heard rare reports of this - a small handful in thousands of installs. Are you saying that you aren't even able to connect to the SkyView Wi-Fi access point? One thought - try constraining your system down to one display by powering the other down. You'll then need to do a network configuration so that that display thinks that it's the only one in the system. Then, make sure Wi-Fi is still showing online in SkyView setup. Does that change the behavior? Rinse, repeat with the other display. Basically, we're looking to see if the performance issue is tied to one of the dongles (and if it seems to be, swap the dongles in the displays to confirm that it's the dongles and not somehow the displays)

W

William_Ince

We've heard rare reports of this - a small handful in thousands of installs. Are you saying that you aren't even able to connect to the SkyView Wi-Fi access point? One thought - try constraining your system down to one display by powering the other down. You'll then need to do a network configuration so that that display thinks that it's the only one in the system. Then, make sure Wi-Fi is still showing online in SkyView setup. Does that change the behavior? Rinse, repeat with the other display. Basically, we're looking to see if the performance issue is tied to one of the dongles (and if it seems to be, swap the dongles in the displays to confirm that it's the dongles and not somehow the displays)
I find that great strategy.

AlanR

Dynon.Thanks for the quick input.
When it won't send i.e 'Waiting for Skyview' I have tried going in to Wifi settings on the IpadMini but the Dynon Skyview wifi network option is not showing. It is searching for it but cannot find. So I try manually putting in the Skyview IP address address but i just get a popup saying 'can't find' or 'does not exist' I forget the actual phraseology but it can't find the Dynon Wifi as a wifi option point to lock on to. So at that point there is no Wi-fi signal being sent out from the dongle/s it seems although D1000 wifi settings do show the Wifi in both displays turned on and live.

The additional problem I have is that this problem is not consistant. It does not do it every time. I have thought in the past I had a workround, powering the Ipad before the Dynon etc. but no it is no good, the issue is getting worse. I can guarantee though that when I want to get the fault it will behave perfectly!!!

I have tried with only one D1000 powered up.Tried both of them this way but it has made no difference.
However I have not tried this doing a Network config individually with each display separately powered up, or swapping the dongles, and separating them this way so I will try that and report back but like I said when I am trying to make it misbehave it probably won't, so I may not know for a while if the fault has gone away or I have located it or not. It is the inconsistancy of the fault that is driving me mad. A consistant fault would be so much easier to track down.

Thanks again.

AlanR

Well the frustration continues ...An update:-
I did today what Dynon Support suggested and powered each display separately and configured individually....initially without any problems at all...'Send to Skyview' happened immediately with both displays powered this way.....grr!
So in disgust with it all I shut everything down and went for a coffee.
Came back and did the same thing again and I managed to replicate the fault with just the P1 display alone powered up. 'Waiting for Skyview' just hung there and settings showed online and all active.It was still hanging after 5minutes. So I thought success!... At last I have pinpointed the issue to the P1 display/dongle!
So I then swapped the P1 and P2 Wi-fi dongles over and tried again.....
However I could not replicate the fault again, wifi 'Send to Skyview' in both displays worked immediately and perfectly not matter how hard I tried, and I tried numerous times shutting both down and configuring individually. I wiggled the dongles to see if it was a connection issue but it made no difference. It worked perfectly every time.

So I can only conclude from this that the issue I think is either the wi-fi dongle that was originally in the P1 display or the P1 display itself is faulty.
It could still be the IpadMini I suppose or even the PocketFms App just messing me around but its a starting point to the answer.....I think/hope!

So I have now ordered a replacement Wi-fi dongle and we will see what happens....

W

William_Ince

So I have now ordered a replacement Wi-fi dongle and we will see what happens....
What brand of Wi-Fi dongle have you been using?
What brand did you just order?

AlanR

What brand of Wi-Fi dongle have you been using?
What brand did you just order?

I thought there was only one Wi-fi dongle to use with Skyview?......The official Dynon Wi-fi Adaptor dongle that Dynon say needs to be fitted in each Skyview display in order to seamlessly send flight plans from Ipad to Skyview. Is there another option that I don't know about?

I have now decided to replace both of them...May be a shotgun approach but it should at least eliminate them once and all from the issue.

rvator51

FYI, I use a nano sized usb wi-fi on both my RVs.  Was concerned about the length of the official size-wi-fi stick eventually causing problems.  Mine works fine so I don’t think there is anything proprietary about the Dynon wi-fi adapter.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
While there are some other dongles out there that might happen to work, we only support the ones we actually sell. There are subtle but real differences in the chipsets that are inside of the random ones you can find on Amazon and similar, even from production run to production run of the same model.

AlanR

An update..
Well I have now changed both genuine Dynon Wifi dongles with like for like new ones.
Having done 3 flights now I can say that everything is working perfectly. Changes from 'Waiting for Skyview' to 'Send to Skyview' on Pocketfms Easyvfr happen straight away and all is good. :)

I just hope this is the end of the issue and it has been a faulty wifi dongle intermittently messing me around for all this time.Time will tell so fingers crossed!

W

William_Ince

An update..
Well I have now changed both genuine Dynon Wifi dongles with like for like new ones.
Having done 3 flights now I can say that everything is working perfectly. Changes from 'Waiting for Skyview' to 'Send to Skyview' on Pocketfms Easyvfr happen straight away and all is good. :)
Good.
And thanks for the update.

AlanR

Well..looks like I spoke too soon.
Since changing both Wifi dongles back in June everything has worked perfectly every time until yesterday when I got the old problem happening again!
I flew two one hour flights and both times I got the 'Waiting for Skyview' thing just the same as I did previously. Not quite as long as in the past, maybe 5-6minutes before changing to 'Send to Skyview, but the concern when you are waiting is, is it going to change at all and when!
So it seems changing the wifi dongles has not got to bottom of the issue. :'(
Clutching at straws now but wondering now if this maybe is some sort of interference issue from other instruments/wiring etc in the panel although nothing as changed since I built the plane two years ago.

To re-cap:- I have 2 x D1000 Skyviews with a backup Battery connected to the P1 screen only. Previously someone mentioned that maybe the backup battery was the issue. I performed the annual test a couple of months ago and it tested good.
The engine ( Rotax) is running when I am doing/attempting the IpadMini2 /Skyview flightplan transfer although in the past ( pre wifi dongle change) it made no difference engine running or not I still got the issue.

All thoughts ideas appreciated....

jakej

Alan, just a thought - if you haven’t done this try using the iPad without ships power & pull the adapter plug out of the 12volt socket if that’s the way it’s been powered. ;)

AlanR

Hi Jake,
Thanks for the input however I am usually using Ipad mini2 without any ships power for local flights. I can get 3.5hours use before needing to plug in to any power.

AlanR

There doesn't seem to be any knew ideas coming through here on the forum to my issue so I will continue with Dynon Support directly bey email.