Sending Flight Plans to Skyview.

AlanR

There doesn't seem to be any knew ideas coming through here on the forum to my issue so probably my best plan is to continue with Dynon Support directly by email.

AlanR

Well,

I am getting nowhere with this issue with Dynon Support ( Case 310520)
First I was told that it is not a problem that anyone has heard off.
However digging deeper it seems that others have this problem and it is now being suggested to me to try other makes of non Dynon wifi dongles at yet more expense to me in the remote chance that they might work. I wonder how many I have to try! I have replaced the genuine Dynon dongles already once in June this year. I am now suspecting this wifi transfer problem is a bigger problem than I first thought with twin Skyview systems and maybe widespread.

Can anyone with twin Dynon Skyviews manage to transfer on a regular basis Pocketfms EasyVfr flightplans I wonder?

I have had the problem for two years since buying/installing  2 x Skyview D1000's and I am rather tired and disappointed by the lack of support for this issue I have! :mad:

Alan.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Have you tried a different iPad flight planning tool to do the transfer? I find it hard to believe it is a problem with the dongles. That said, they likely work in the 2.5 GHz spectrum, which can have issues with other devices in that area (Bluetooth, microwaves, etc.).

AlanR

Hi Ray,
I have tried two different Ipadmini tablets also a Samsung Galaxy S2 android tablet and also a Moto G5plus android phone.
It makes no difference, same result. One day it works one day it doesn't.
I too find it hard to believe it is the wifi dongles. I have held the tablet right next to the wifi dongle and it just doesn't send the flightplan even though settings in the tablet show connected and Skyview shows wifi enabled and connected.
I suspect the two Dynon wifi dongles are in conflict with each other. They have the same IP address I understand and I understand are pre-programmed and cannot be changed.
Non aviation computer guys tell that to have two wifi dongles with the same IPaddress in close proximity will cause issues.

Raymo

I love aviation!
That is interesting that both boxes have the same IP. I don't see how it can work that way, myself. Each box has its own MAC address so the duplicate IPs would be a problem, IMO.

Have you confirmed with Dynon that duplicate IPs is the norm?

Does it work better if one dongle is disconnected?

AlanR

Dynon support say one acts as a master device and the other as a slave depending on which is powered up first. Both IP addresses the same.
I tried removing one wifi dongle completely today and with both screens powered up it totally refused to transfer the flightplan. Normally sometimes it does transfer, sometimes it doesn't but with one dongle removed it made things worse.

It is becoming apparant to me that this is a known problem. Wifi transfer is at absolute best very flaky and at worst just does not work in a twin Dynon Skyview setup.

rleffler

I love flying!
Dynon support say one acts as a master device and the other as a slave depending on which is powered up first. Both IP addresses the same.
I tried removing one wifi dongle completely today and with both screens powered up it totally refused to transfer the flightplan. Normally sometimes it does transfer, sometimes it doesn't but with one dongle removed it made things worse.

It is becoming apparant to me that this is a known problem. Wifi transfer is at absolute best very flaky and at worst just does not work in a twin Dynon Skyview setup.

I agree with Ray. Each device has a MAC address, which in turn MUST have an unique IP address for each MAC address. There is absolutely no way IP will work with duplicate IP addresses.

I have AFS screens, so I'm by no means a Dynon EFIS expert. Have you tried setting your PFS and MFD with static IP addresses? I'm assuming that's possible.

Your WiFi dongle should have a third IP address, but may not be in the same subnet as your screens.

To me, it appears to be a configuration issue.

In my opinion, your PFD should always be the MASTER. AFS has a method via assigning IP static addresses that ensures that the PFD is the MASTER. I would assume that Dynon does something very similar.

Raymo

I love aviation!
It should not have gotten worse with one dongle removed; it should have transferred the flight plan to only one screen.

I just checked my SV1000T screens and they have different IP addresses. I can't see the subnet mask but guessing it is 255.255.0.0, based on the IPs.

Do you have the screens connected with an Ethernet cable? If not, that could explain the issue.

AlanR

Dynon support tell me that the IP addresses in Skyview are not user configurable. The wifi-dongles are also pre-coded apparantly.
The two Skyview screens are connected by an Ethernet cable.
I have tried disconnecting the Ethernet cable but it makes no difference to the abilty to transfer the flightplan on the occasion when it refuses to send the flightplan.

Pleae keep the ideas coming....

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So SkyView self-configures everything - although you can see the IP addresses, there isn't any way (or need) to manually configure anything. It should "just work". If you want to test with just one display and dongle, you MUST do a SkyView network configuration from just that display with the other one powered off. Essentially, you want the system to believe that it's a one display system.

hufise

Hello

I had also problem with the dongle. I live the pigtail and put the dongle direct in the Skyview. No problems since.

Daniel

Van’s RV12 one Skyview, Flarm and Trig radio

AlanR

Hi Daniel,
I have tried a while ago leaving the pigtail off and putting the dongle directly in the Skyviews but it didn't seem to make any difference. Good thought though and I may try that again just to experiment.
I have also tried putting the wifi dongles on long extension leads and relocated them well away from any other instrumentation to experiment and see if it made a difference....No difference.
Sometimes it will send the flightplan straight away, other times it won't. No pattern to it.

AlanR

Dynon,
I have done exactly what you say and re-configured with one display only in an attempt to pinpoint the issue to one particular Skyview display. It doesn't make any difference.
On no particular day it will not send in this configuration to the P1 display and another day it will not send to the P2 display in a single Skyview configuration. So I cannot pinpoint the fault to a single display.
The whole problem is that it is not consistant. One day the flightplan transfer will work perfectly and send the flightplan immediately another day it will just not change to 'Send' at all and I do the flight without a flighplan transfer from iPad to Skyview. Or maybe it will take anything between 5-15minutes before it will change to 'Send'. Sometimes it will change to 'Send' but will still not actually send the flightplan.
I still think the problem is an IP network conflict.
The alternative thought is possibly an issue in the Pocketfms EasyVfr App when installed in a twin Skyview setup. I am in email contact with Rob Weijers of Pocketfms who is sympathetic and helpful to my situation and looking in to this possible theory.

rleffler

I love flying!
Dynon,
I have done exactly what you say and re-configured with one display only in an attempt to pinpoint the issue to one particular Skyview display. It doesn't make any difference.
On no particular day it will not send in this configuration to the P1 display and another day it will not send to the P2 display in a single Skyview configuration. So I cannot pinpoint the fault to a single display.
The whole problem is that it is not consistant. One day the flightplan transfer will work perfectly and send the flightplan immediately another day it will just not change to 'Send' at all and I do the flight without a flighplan transfer from iPad to Skyview. Or maybe it will take anything between 5-15minutes before it will change to 'Send'. Sometimes it will change to 'Send' but will still not actually send the flightplan.
I still think the problem is an IP network conflict.
The alternative thought is possibly an issue in the Pocketfms EasyVfr App when installed in a twin Skyview setup. I am in email contact with Rob Weijers of Pocketfms who is sympathetic and helpful to my situation and looking in to this possible theory.

This is speculation, since I don't have enough data to come to any conclusion.

I'm assuming the two screens have a single Ethernet cable going to them and you aren't using an Ethernet switch.

It sounds like the EFIS aren't on the same network and each assigning the default master IP address which is the same.

This would imply one of three potential issues:

1. Your Ethernet cable is bad. (i.e. there is an open circuit)

2. The Ethernet cable isn't solidly plugged in until you hear the click

3. You're using a standard Ethernet cable instead of the "null" cable specifically made for connecting two devices together without a switch. Dynon may overcome this issue in software, but most vendors don't. The manual should state the cable requirements.

AlanR

The fitted Ethernet cable is the one supplied by Dynon and I don't have an Ethernet switch.

I have checked that both ends of the Ethernet cable are fully clicked in. I have removed and refitted them several times.

As you say I suppose it could be that the Ethernet cable is bad?
However when I do data updates I only do them into one Skyview screen and the data is updated to both Skyviews so if the Ethernet cable was bad I wouldn't have thought it would transfer updates all ok?
Worthy of a consideration though I guess.

Thanks for the input.

rleffler

I love flying!
The fitted Ethernet cable is the one supplied by Dynon and I don't have an Ethernet switch.

I have checked that both ends of the Ethernet cable are fully clicked in. I have removed and refitted them several times.

As you say I suppose it could be that the Ethernet cable is bad?
However when I do data updates I only do them into one Skyview screen and the data is updated to both Skyviews so if the Ethernet cable was bad I wouldn't have thought it would transfer updates all ok?
Worthy of a consideration though I guess.

Thanks for the input.

Your symptoms don't make sense to me from a standard IP networking perspective.

If both of your screens have the same IP address, then they shouldn't be able to transfer any data.

Unless you are referring to devices that are attached to serial ports.

The fact that they are getting the same IP address would imply that the two screens can't talk to each other during the startup process and are unable to negotiate appropriate roles.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Not to discourage the conversation, but the things you're chasing here - IP addresses and ethernet - are red herrings. The ethernet cable is ONLY used to transfer aviation/obstacle databases between displays. It doesn't have any bearing on other real-time display communications like information that is shared via the wi-fi adapters. There also isn't an IP conflict situation here. Whatever is happening here is something more subtle (subtle enough that it's rare - know that there are thousands of you on the forum here, and there are one or two people in this thread that are having issues, with the rest helping with tips and tricks).

Is there anyone else here using PocketFMS?

AlanR

For what its worth...
Rob Weijers at PockerFMS (EasyVFR) tells me that my situation is unusual in that all the aircraft he has come across in Europe have a single Skyview. I have twin Dynon Skyviews. He has considered that it could be in the programming of the EasyVFR App. But he is as confused as I am over this.
I flew on Saturday and it all worked perfectly!!..
Next time I fly who knows?
This is how it has been for two years now.....

skyview_user

I love TopMeteo
"Is there anyone else here using PocketFMS?"

Yes, I'm using pocketFMS (=easyVFR). Two SV 10" displays, two wifi sticks from Dynon. Never had any issues with sending flight plans to SV's

AlanR

"Is there anyone else here using PocketFMS?"

Yes, I'm using pocketFMS (=easyVFR). Two SV 10" displays, two wifi sticks from Dynon. Never had any issues with sending flight plans to SV's

Hi,
This is interesting...
Just to compare with what you have installed :-
What aircraft do you have?...metal? composite? tube /fabric?
Are the Skyviews touch screen or classic D1000's?
Are you using the wifi dongles with the pigtails or directly in to the Skyviews?
Whereabouts in the world are you?...Are you using EasyVfr European version?
What model/type of Tablet are you using to send the flightplans...iOS or Android?