The New SkyView - Featuring SkyView Touch

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Is there any chance the new software will allow me to display the EMS data in a strip along the bottom and split the other two screens above it in 50/50, 33/66, and 66/33 format? That would be great for us single screen users!
Hi Bill,

This isn't currently on the priority list. We've got too many new features to bring out this year. That said, we're always listening and open to being told this is a greater need.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
However, there is no screen shot showing a similar keypad input to control the SV-COM-C25. Is there one? Can the SV-COM-C25 be operated completely by the Skyview Touch panel? Will the SV-COM-C25 operate in no control panel is installed?
The COM radio requires the control panel to operate for a couple reasons:

1) We believe that the radio needs to be readily accessible in all phases of flight, and you shouldn't have to dig into a menu to get to that function. The dedicated knobs and buttons give fast access to your nearest airports and frequencies.
2) The COM radio transceiver and control panel are powered separately from SkyView and provide an extra level of redundancy.

We are of course always listening to requests, so let us know how you feel.

turbopilot

However, there is no screen shot showing a similar keypad input to control the SV-COM-C25. Is there one? Can the SV-COM-C25 be operated completely by the Skyview Touch panel? Will the SV-COM-C25 operate in no control panel is installed?
The COM radio requires the control panel to operate for a couple reasons:

1) We believe that the radio needs to be readily accessible in all phases of flight, and you shouldn't have to dig into a menu to get to that function. The dedicated knobs and buttons give fast access to your nearest airports and frequencies.
2) The COM radio transceiver and control panel are powered separately from SkyView and provide an extra level of redundancy.

We are of course always listening to requests, so let us know how you feel.

Thanks for listening. A few points to consider. For simple VFR aircraft moving all functionality into the panel reduces cost, complexity and weight. So some may be willing to give up redundancy for other factors.

Also the door can swing both ways on a failure. Should the COM head fail for some reason it would be nice to have a key pad on the Skyview Touch panel to continue operating the remote COM transceiver.

Pilots8000

I am in the process of installing a new SV system. (10" screen, EMS, ADAHRS, SV COM, SV Transponder, SV ADS-B, 2 SV autopilot servos, SV-AP-PANEL, and SV-KNOB-PANEL.

On initial power-up and SV network configuration, Several of the SV network components were not recognized. After troubleshooting with individual components connected directly to the screen using the serial cable supplied by Dynon with the screen, neither the SV-AP-PANEL nor the SV-KNOB-PANEL were being recognixed during the network configuration. All other network components were correctly recognized. After discussing with Dynon tech support, I was provided an RMA for both SV-AP-PANEL and SV-KNOB-PANEL.

It just occurred to me that SV-AP-PANEL and SV-KNOB-PANEL were announced/released at the same time as SV software version 10.0. My screen currently has SV software version 7.0. Could this be causing the network config to not recognize the new SV-AP-PANEL and SV-KNOB-PANEL components?

Are the the new SV-AP-PANEL and SV-KNOB-PANEL components compatible with SV software version 7.0?

rgcrothers

I love flying!
I purchased the autopilot and Skyview and "knob" modules and I do have plenty of room to install them right up against the Skyview screen or off a ways if I choose. The cutout shape for the modules is pretty challenging to deal with, especially with my panel as drilling or cutting with a sabre saw tends to jam metal between the layers of my panel overlay and the aluminum panel itself. I have a very thin overlay glued onto the panel and had an engraver do my labels on it's surface. I have been thinking of doing it all with my dremmel tool with cutter wheel but every time I think of doing it I find something else to do...

After spending so much time getting to where I am, I am very reluctant to take chances of having to start over.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting these cutouts done on a panel like mine? Does it really work out OK to place them as seen in the pictures with no space between the Skyview screen and the modules? It does not leave much metal to work with. I can imagine damaging it easily with a file when cleaning up the cutout. It would be great to see some photos of installs.

I am thinking of trying to find a water jet cutter to try to get it done. What have others done with these cutouts, are there any other options I should consider?

mrdaud

Randall,

If at all possible, find a friend or someone who can do AutoCad, and send the file to water jet. I do my own AutoCad (not very well, but good enough) and have re-done all my panel inserts 3 or 4 times as the Dynon, or other, equipment changes. The fit has been perfect for everything, and it only cost me about $75 to water jet cut all five of my inserts. I then powder coated them. I am using a modified Glasair, 5-insert panel on my Tango 2 and it looks great! Just try to find a friend to do your CAD drawing , because the water jet people charge an arm and a leg for CAD time

Attachments

• Panel_10_7_14.JPG
    Panel_10_7_14.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 130

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We're so close....

There is a pretty descent queue though, so once we start (VERY soon now), it will be months for us to be able to satisfy existing demand.

Bubblehead

Can we get an update on when the touch upgrades will be available? I have my panel apart installing a Dynon transponder and ADS-B receiver and this would be a great time to send my 10" in for upgrade.

skysailor

We expect that the GNS480 will work for the flight plan sharing and CDI switching, but it has not yet been tested as far as I know.

Dynon Support,

Sorry I missed this earlier. The new flight plan functions mentioned do work as advertised with the Garmin 480 in my Glasair.

lolachampcar

We're so close....

There is a pretty descent queue though, so once we start (VERY soon now), it will be months for us to be able to satisfy existing demand.

I'm early in the queue but wondering what "VERY soon now" means. Are we talking Tesla "soon"?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Yeah, we're definitely beyond the point that we thought we'd be, and "very soon now" wan't meant to meant "3 more months". This is why we don't like announcing things much ahead of time, and even with that mentality, we still get it wrong occasionally.

It's still happening, and still soon. And I'm pretty sure I'm not lying this time*.

*Caveat: see past performance on forward-looking statements

swatson999

I hate to bring this up again, but we're no 11 months past product announcement, and still no upgrade path available... :'(

Any word yet on when we can get our older units upgraded (other than "soon")? Pleeeeeease?