traffic does not show on display

Seagull

I have a Skyview Touch with a 472 ABS-B receiver. I fly with an Ipad connected to the Dynon WiFi. I use IFlyGPS app on the Ipad and it always shows traffic but sometimes the Skyview does not show any of the traffic that is showing on the IPad, even real close traffic. This "lack of traffic" showing happens during a flight but I can't tell what it is causing it, maybe a sequence of buttons or menu's I am using? Any ideas?

skysailor

I have traffic from both a Dynon ADSB 472 displayed on the Skyview and from a Uavionics Echo ADSB tranceiver which displays on a GRT Mini and also an Ipad. You may have two issues. First is the Dynon filters traffic it does not consider a factor (too far above, below or distant). This filtering is not adjustable by the user. Secondly, the Dynon frequently does not display all the traffic I see from the Echo. I think the ADSB 472 just does not do as good a job with traffic. That said, the weather displayed from the ADSB 472 on the Skyview is excellent and far better. I use both sources for these reasons.

I'm still waiting for Dynon to solve the display of ownship as traffic. The Ipad and GRT do not show me as traffic to myself but the Dynon always does resulting in a constant TRAFFIC label on the PFD and ND screens. Dynon's solution is to install their transponder which is both expensive and Mode S. I prefer my perfectly functioning Mode C and do not have a spare serial port on the Dynon to control their transponder in any case.

Seagull

It is not a filtering issue since the IPad has shown me traffic at my altitude 2 miles out and the Skyview showed nothing. I would have thought that if the traffic was being picked up by the 472 and sent to the IPad then the Skyview would also receive it.

Raymo

I love aviation!
I have seen the same behavior with FF showing traffic that would initially be on the EFIS but later disappear while still showing in FF. It usually self corrects but makes you wonder what else might be missing from the big picture. Yes, eyes outside but that doesn't help when an aircraft is approaching from behind.

kellym

I love flying!
It is not a filtering issue since the IPad has shown me traffic at my altitude 2 miles out and the Skyview showed nothing. I would have thought that if the traffic was being picked up by the 472 and sent to the IPad then the Skyview would also receive it.
There is a configuration screen for traffic that allows you to select all traffic displayed, just threats and maybe turn it off. I have all traffic on moving map, and just threats on PFD.

n363rv

I am in the Dallas - Fort Worth metro area. I just installed the 472. I have an echo uat with traffic to a grt mini as well as iFly on a samsung tablet. I can see all traffic reliably on the mini and the tablet and the traffic matches in those devices, but not in the skyview. In the skyview it just scares me because I see traffic show up and disappear. I don't feel like I can rely on it right now. There needs to be a setting so that the pilot can override whatever algorithm is being used to "help" clear up the map by hiding traffic. After the filtering is turned off, the traffic shown on the skyview should match what I see on the GRT or my Tablet. Once the pilot can establish that the raw data being delivered to the Skyview from the 472 is good and reliable, then the pilot could turn back on the default filtering. I was able to see traffic better (at least I think so) after setting the Initial Radius to 0 and the Initial Altitude Difference to +-0.

Dynon.... if you are reading this, please let us know if ALL of the traffic is being transmitted from the 472 to the skyview.
If it is... please consider adding a setting to allow the pilot to turn off the traffic filtering that is taking place in the map.

Thanks

skysailor

I have the same Skyview/ADSB 472 and Echo UAT/ GRT Mini setup as you and very often have the same problem. It would be great to be able to adjust or disable the traffic filtering on the Skyview. Many times the Skyview does not show traffic which is shown on the GRT and Ipad from the Echo UAT.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Dynon.... if you are reading this, please let us know if ALL of the traffic is being transmitted from the 472 to the skyview.
If it is... please consider adding a setting to allow the pilot to turn off the traffic filtering that is taking place in the map.

It is filtered to a hockey puck around the aircraft, 15 mile radius and +/- 5000 feet around the aircraft. The filtering can not be turned off.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Actually, it turns out there's an undocumented way to remove the filtering, which is to not give the -472 a GPS position, which you inhibit by disconnecting the SkyView TX / -472 receive line. You'll end up with a lot more traffic than you're probably interested in, though. Since it's not documented, it could also result in some targets being missing, as usually the device is able to prioritization based on your GPS position.

n363rv

It is filtered to a hockey puck around the aircraft, 15 mile radius and +/- 5000 feet around the aircraft. The filtering can not be turned off.
Thank you for sharing that. That helps in setting some expectations for traffic visibility.

n363rv

Actually, it turns out there's an undocumented way to remove the filtering, which is to not give the -472 a GPS position, which you inhibit by disconnecting the SkyView TX / -472 receive line. You'll end up with a lot more traffic than you're probably interested in, though. Since it's not documented, it could also result in some targets being missing, as usually the device is able to prioritization based on your GPS position.
That's good to know. Not perfect but something to try. Thank you for letting us know.

I would still like to encourage your team to consider a software setting so that the pilot can see all traffic with no filtering at all, or a 25 mile puck or go with the default settings.

n363rv

I wanted to report back. After setting this.... "Initial Radius to 0 and the Initial Altitude Difference to +-0 " I am able to "see" traffic a lot better. I am also getting "used" to the way the 472 chooses to show traffic. It's not great, but it is ok. I wanted to put some emphasis on this setting because I didn't notice it for a while and this may be just what somebody in the future reading this post needs to know to get past "Can't See Traffic" issue.

Brent Dana

I wanted to report back. After setting this.... "Initial Radius to 0 and the Initial Altitude Difference to +-0 " I am able to "see" traffic a lot better. I am also getting "used" to the way the 472 chooses to show traffic. It's not great, but it is ok. I wanted to put some emphasis on this setting because I didn't notice it for a while and this may be just what somebody in the future reading this post needs to know to get past "Can't See Traffic" issue.
Can you tell me where in sky-view you found this ability to change these

RV8JD

Can you tell me where in sky-view you found this ability to change these
Not "n363rv", but the only menu I could find that allowed changes to "Initial Radius" and "Initial Altitude Difference" was in the TRAFFIC SETUP Menu for Ghost Targets (but I have a -470, not a -472 ADS-B IN receiver). I assume then that you need to turn "Ghost Targets" to "YES" and change those values to "0" as suggested by "n363rv".

Here is a screenshot from my SV Touch:

i-23dvgW7-M.jpg

Last edited:

Brent Dana

Maybe there was no traffic the other day. Yestrday, showed all. And thanks for the help. Dynon certified, does not have those options as well.

jmurtagh13

I love flying!
I have also been experiencing traffic that is close by disappearing then later reappearing. This has been the norm ever since I've upgraded from the 470 to the 472 several years back. I fly in the Atlanta area and have noticed that I only lose targets when I'm near a busy/large airport. It seems that the 472 becomes overwhelmed with a high level of traffic. I have a Garmin GDL 39 connected to Garmin Pilot which never seems to drop a target aircraft. This has been very frustrating especially since there is no option to connect a 3rd party ADS-B receiver.

Schorsch

I also get those "disappearances" of traffic on the SkyView frequently ever since the upgrade to the 472 ADSB uAvionix receiver. For me it happens even with light traffic away from airports.
I also didn't notice it happening with the old 470 ADSB, I suspect it's a bug in the 472 that needs fixing?

To me reliable traffic depiction is extremely important - after a close by mid-air collision of two other planes kept me from flying for 25 years until ADSB came along. See & avoid alone is too fallible for me, in my slow plane I wish I had eyes in the back.

Last edited:

Schorsch

Can everyone encountering this issue please gather the data (see below) and send to Dynon support?

I opened a ticket and Dynon's response was:
I will be happy to look into this, but I have had no reports of this via the normal support channels until now. I will need some help to determine what is going on that will take some data gathering from you if you are willing to assist. It would help if I could get diagnostic files immediately after one of the events you describe with the exact zulu time and if possible the N number of the disappearing target so we can look to see if we filtered it or try to determine the reason it disappeared. I will need to determine if the target is a 1090 direct target, TIS, or ADSB. I do know that a target that disappears from the data coming from the module will be coasted or kept on the screen for 12 seconds before being removed from the screen with the intent another radar sweep may pick the target back up, in which case we will keep it on screen if it comes back in the data. I suspect the Ipad apps just continue to coast the target despite having no real way to predict where it actually is. In this case, bad data is no better than no data as see and avoid is still primary for traffic separation.
If you can get me some data, I will be happy to see what we can find out and make corrections if needed.

jmurtagh13

I love flying!
Great. I'll send Dynon Support some screen prints of the disappearing targets along with the Dynon diagnostic files this coming week.