what's next

eddies

***** Data logging *****

I will be running in a new IO-360 so would love to be able to keep logs from the start of the whole process

Cheers
Eddie ;)

RudiGreyling

So 3.3 is tentative planned for the beginning of Febuary. Among the features within it, tentatively:

-User waypoints (created and stored within Skyview, import and export supported)
-Improved alerting with audio
-Improved map UI
-Support for search/nearest/info of visual reporting points, when they're in the loaded data (more news on alternate navigation data sources dropping VERY SOON now)
-Virtual VOR
-Rotax "mode" (that automatically adjusts rpm and oil redlines dynamically based on oil temp, just like the D10/D100 series)
-More info items on the map page
-Other random goodies

Note that any of the above can get cut from the update for a variety of reasons, and others can find their way in, but that's what we're looking towards at the moment.

What is a virtual VOR? An imaginary waypoint that can act like a VOR?

trevpond

Blue M******* used to have Virtual VOR and very useful it was too. You could put one in the middle of a runway and fly a "VOR" Radial approach to an airfield. Particularly good in bad vis.

Trev ;)

preid

I have not figured out how to change the direction on the HSI when going to a GPS signal, for example to line up with the runway, easy to adjust for VOR's however as the needle centers as I turn the dial, so technically I can line myself up on a point a few miles out and have it fly to the VOR at the degrees I want versus Direct to a point on the GPS.
I may have missed the advantage of the Virtual VOR, but that is what I would expect.

trevpond

Virtual VOR behaved exactly like "real" VOR in that you can set up a radial to fly right on the runway bearing. You can also intercept a radial and do so using the autopilot.

Trev ;)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Basically, you can take any course line that you're navigating to on SkyView (say, a direct-to, for example), and then spin it around the destination to approach it from another direction. This is similar to how radials are used with real VORs, and so that's what it's been called. Not sure if we'll call it exactly that in our marketing/documentation, but hopefully you get the idea.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I'm in the planning stage for my panel and would appreciate some kind of time frame estimate for the second amp meter.  I would use it to monitor amperage to my e-bus in addition to the standard main bus meter.
Thanks
Bob

We slip-streamed multiple AMPS monitoring capability into SkyView recently by adding support of the GRT CS-01 Hall Effect Current Sensor which connects to one of the three enhanced general purpose inputs - Pins 8, 22, or 31. A (one, or more) CS-01 can be displayed on the EMS page in addition to the AMPS Shunt.

Of course, you can also display AMPS on the EMS page that is being generated by the optional VP-X.

mmarien

Murray M.
Virtual VOR - got it. Dial in the runway heading, intercept back a ways from the threshold and turn final on intercept. Sometimes it takes us VFR only (grew up on GPS) guys a while to figure it out. I kind of like the green runway extensions on the Garmin handheld GPS products. Same idea but automatic and easy to intercept. Any thoughts of adding something like that to the map?

DSC_0094.jpg

mkbreezy

How about all US approach procedures including waypoints and the missed approach. It seems that there is room in the database area to hold it. Had that on a Chelton System and loved it. In fact there are a lot of great features in the Chelton that could be emulated (Highway in the Sky for one). Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Skyview, and its features, but could always ask for more. Any plans to have ADS-B weather displayed on the map?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Weather is a very high priority.

Displaying IFR approach procedures is not since it isn't legal in an experimental EFIS to fly these. If you're flying GPS-IFR, you have a certified navigator on board that has all the procedures in it already. Doesn't mean we won't ever do it, but there's a logical reason it's low priority.

Displaying the procedures when sourced from a on-board certified GPS is a higher priority, since that is legal, but we don't have a timeframe for that.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We don't know of any data sources for weather in the UK or Europe, so there is no support planned for that.

ChiefPilot

`We will split the ADAHRS and the magnetometer if customer demand warrants it, but we are not currently working on it.`....2010

I would buy a skyview system to replace my D10A + EMSD10 setup tomorrow if the remote magnetometer was available. Without it, the upgrade path is just way too much work due to tight confines and the need to re-route pitot, static, and AOA lines.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
ChiefPilot:
We hear you about offering a magnetometer-only module for SkyView. We hear this "occasionally", but not "frequently". Thus, it's on our list for SkyView as a potential product, but unfortunately we only have so many engineering person-hours available.

vasper

Multi engine capability is at the top of my list.
Beyond that, maybe Highway in the Sky approaches like GRT uses?
Weather is no longer a priority for me; I've purchased another solution (Skyradar) that is fabulous.

cbennet12

Multi engine capability is at the top of my list.
Beyond that, maybe Highway in the Sky approaches like GRT uses?
Weather is no longer a priority for me; I've purchased another solution (Skyradar) that is fabulous.

A BIG plus one on the highway in the sky!!!

And back to basics, where's the engine data logging?!?! Not nearly as sexy as VPX support but the effort put in to VPX support could have resulted in a lot more "fundamental" features that we're currently lacking.

Craig

preid

I believe because of the push of VP-X, EMS and EFIS is now outputted via a serial port. VP-200 has data logging that it gets from the EMS and EFIS. The release of the new VP-200 software is expected out soon so once that comes out anyone with a VP-200 has data logging per se. I have seen the VP-200 implementation and it is a huge safety benefit having the serial out from the Skyview.
Flight planning expansions, specifically saving them on the skyview, virtual VOR, and improved Map UI is a great step in the right direction

mkbreezy

How about a dedicated small panel for heading, altitude and course. Kinda like the older Dynon equipment. A start on a guidance panel.

Highway in the Sky.

mmarien

Murray M.
I think I read a request for a scripting language for the Skyview here before, but a simple data capture and translation would be nice for those devices that output a serial data stream. P-Mags and EFII come to mind but there are others. The Garmin handhelds output radio frequency data. It would be a defined method that would encapsulate the data in a structure or object. The members or records could then be associated with a widget much like the fuel computer.

SERIAL4 P-MAG={
         StartOfStream "!";   // some trigger that signals the start of the data stream but also could signal the display update
         char (1) VER;          // numbers in brackets identifies number of chars in the member
         int (4) RPM;            //
         null (10);               // skip the next ten chars
         float (3 1) MAP;      // floats would need a third parameter to specify decimal places (eg: 12.5)
         int (3) SparkAngle;
         etc.
}

The displayed widget would be the same as any other information available for display. The range information for the widget could be defined in a normal range declaration or in the capture structure.

P-MAG.SparkAngle={
type=WIDGET_ARC_VAL_CENTER
x_offset=0.5
y_offset=71.5
width=30
height=30
params=260
params=130
params=2
}