Sending Flight Plans to Skyview.

AlanR

Hi,
Unsure if this an Pocket EasyVFR issue, a Dynon SkyView issue, or even an iOS issue but recently I have noticed that it takes a long time after loading a Flightplan for the button on the page to go from 'Waiting for SkyView' to 'Send F/Plan to SkyView. It used to be almost instantly and now takes probably 3-5minutes or more for the button to change to 'Send F/Plan to SkyView'.
Recently I have done updates to SkyView and EasyVFR and also updated my iPad Mini to the latest software so it is difficult to work out just when it started to get so slow.
In settings the iPad shows that it has found the SkyView Wif-fi but the button in EasyVFR just takes ages to change to 'Send'.
I wonder if it is a Skyview Wi-fi dongle problem?

Any ideas or thoughts appreciated.

I have also posted this question on the Pocketfms EasyVFR forum.

Alan.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Hi Alan,

I think this might be the first report of this behavior we're hearing, but we're happy to look into it.

A couple of questions: Do you have 1 or 2 SkyView displays? And once SkyView is powered on and fully booted, does the wifi status in the wifi setup menu show anything amiss? Or does it report ONLINE with everything in the green right away?

AlanR

Hi Alan,

I think this might be the first report of this behavior we're hearing, but we're happy to look into it.

A couple of questions: Do you have 1 or 2 SkyView displays? And once SkyView is powered on and fully booted, does the wifi status in the wifi setup menu show anything amiss? Or does it report ONLINE with everything in the green right away?

I have two D1000's both with wifi dongles. In the wifi setup menu it shows Wifi-Online. In other word nothing amiss. The Ipad with Pfms/EasyVFR shows 'Waiting for Skyview'. Settings on the ipad mini show that it has found the Skyview wifi. At this point it just doesn't send to Skyview....so you wait and wait and then eventually it does change to 'Sending to Skyview' and all is ok. But you just don't know if this is going to happen or not.
It is however intermittent, yesterday I tried it and it sent the F/plan straight away like it used to before updates....So I am at a loss as to what is causing the issue.
The problem is having recently updated the firmware in the Skyviews and updated the ipad to the latest version and updated EasyVFR to the latest version I can't pinpoint which update has caused this to happen.
Previously F/plan was sent immediately, straight away each and every time.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
When it's showing the "waiting for SkyView" on the button, does leaving the menu where that's shown, and backing out to the map, and then going back in help it along?

AlanR

I flew today and it hung still showing 'Waiting for Skyview' for 4 minutes (timed). Going out to Map and back in again made no difference or at least didn't seem to. It may have been me doing this,I don't know that finally activated it but it unfortunately to my eyes made no difference at all. :-/

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So we weren't able to reproduce the issue here, with the following setup: EasyVFR 3.93, Skyview 15.0.4, and iOS 10.2 on an iPad mini (not sure which version of the mini). What are all of your versions?

AlanR

I have EasyVFR 3.93, and Skyview 15.0.4.

I use one of two x Ipad mini2's whichever I have at hand at the time. Now I wonder if this is the issue because on checking one has 10.0.2 and the other one has 10.1.1.
I thought I had the latest iOS versions on both but obviously not.
I will update both Ipad mini's to 10.2 and try again and see what happens and if this fixes things.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
One other thing you might try: turn on only one SkyView display (or power one of them down), and see if that makes a difference. It shouldn't, but it's worth experimenting with.

mikeschumann

I love flying!
I am having problems exporting and importing flight plans from Skyview to/from the FltPlan Go App on my iPAD and iPhone. I've been talking to Brady in Tech Support about this. It sounds like this might be related to the problems discussed in this thread.

dbdurrett

Using Skyview Classic, ver 15.0.3 and Wi-Fi equipped, how to transfer a Skyvector .gpx file that is an attachment to an email on my iphone 6 (ver 10.1.1)
Skyiew does not initiate contact, Settings show Skyview WI Fi connected. Tapping the file icon, brings up Air Drop.
This is the first time I tried this and may not be part of this thread.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Don,
Using WiFi to send a file to SkyView is not a supported operation. You need to use a flight planning tool on your iPhone in order to do this.

AlanR

I reported on this earlier this year ( see first post on this thread) and I still have the problem of waiting time when transferring a Flightplan from Ipad Mini to Skyview....'Waiting for Skyview' shown on Ipad.
The problem seems to be on first startup from cold as though the wifi dongles needs time to warm up? From cold it takes up to 5minutes before the button on the Ipad changes changes to 'Send flightplan to Skyview'. When you are sitting there with the engine running waiting to go 5minutes seems like eternity!
However after a flight for say lunch I get back in the plane for a return flight and everything is warm it will work immediately.. The button immediately changes to 'Send flightplan to Skyview'.
Do you think the dongle or dongles need replacing? (I have one in each display).

W

William_Ince

Do you think the dongle or dongles need replacing? (I have one in each display).
No.
Before doing anything else, I would delete the Skyview wi-fi network off your iPad.
Then . . . reconnect to it again . . with a "join" automatic preference, so it will remember it.
It may be, your iPad is just having a hard time making a solid wi-fi connection to the Skyview network.

AlanR

No.
Before doing anything else, I would delete the Skyview wi-fi network off your iPad.
Then . . . reconnect to it again . . with a "join" automatic preference, so it will remember it.
It may be, your iPad is just having a hard time making a solid wi-fi connection to the Skyview network.

It is a good thought and one which I will certainly try. However I have 2 iPad mini's, whichever one I happen to have with me that day, and they both do the same thing.

Raymo

I love aviation!
If you go into setup while waiting, what IP address is associated with each dongle? You'll have to check both screens. The IPs should be different. If they are the same, you will have issues.

AlanR

Well to continue this thread further. yet again. The issue continues and I have checked IP addresses ( all good) and tried it with turning one Skyview off etc. etc.
However a very recent interesting observation...
I have now discovered if I boot up the Ipad and do all the route/flightplan stuff before I start engine/turn on and the boot the Skyviews the moment the Skyviews are fully booted up I immediately get 'Send to Skyview'....all good!

If however I start engine/ boot up the Skyviews and then turn on the Ipad and do flightplan stuff as I usually do whilst the engine is warming up I get 'Waiting for Skyview' and it just hangs and hangs for 5minutes or longer. I have even taken off and been flying for 10-15minutes before it goes to 'Send to Skyview'

So I have at last after all these months discovered a workround which is great but can anyone shed any light on why this happens this way?
Just to recap I have 2 x Ipad mini2 and they both do the same thing so I personally still suspect it is something to do with the Dynon dongles.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Do you have backup batteries on both screens so they have power during startup? It could be that the screens are losing enough power that the network is resetting and not recovering gracefully.

AlanR

I have one backup battery connected to the P1 screen.The P2 screen does not have a backup battery.
Usually I just turn on the P1 screen before start up and then the P2 screen after starting to save main battery power ( EarthX) prior to start.
Seems to make no difference to the problem though if one or both turned on.