ADSB 472

jakej

Spot on!!

Now .. All I gotta do is stop people asking for more 'features'  ::) as it's obvious from other posts on the forums that many don't bother to, or haven't read, the 573 page Install Manual - more features means more pages  :(

W

William_Ince

At 2,976 views, this thread has drawn tremendous attention

turbopilot

One observation. I just flew the new Scout Dual-Band ADSB-B Receiver in a 472 equipped Carbon Cub with Skyview HDX.

I just stuck the Scout on the windshield and watched its output on an iPhone running ForeFlight.

The Scout really struggled while the 472 worked "normally". 472 was pulling in weather fine but dropping traffic and much slower to show ADS-OK compared to the 470. But the Scout never really completed weather download and never showed the traffic shown by the 472.

The Scout seemed to work ok on the ground, so I am guessing there is RF interference in the airplane impacting the Scout significantly and probably the 472 to some degree.

Forgot to add that in the same cockpit the Stratus works fine on the top of the glare shield.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Is it possible ForeFlight was picking up weather via Wi-Fi or cellular rather than getting it from the Scout while on the ground?

turbopilot

Is it possible ForeFlight was picking up weather via Wi-Fi or cellular rather than getting it from the Scout while on the ground?

The iPhone was solidly locked on to the Scout WiFi when I tested it. Scout makes no attempt at any shielding. Looks like antenna and chips on a single board enclosed in plastic.

Schorsch

I lost a friend in a fatal midair collision that FLARM or ADSB could have prevented so my tolerance for the ADSB not working as intended is close to zero. Flight-following and eyeballs alone haven't been enough for thousands of collision victims... For me this is urgent because ADSB traffic is my best defense against some errors by controllers, other pilots and myself.

GalinHdz

I lost a friend in a fatal midair collision that FLARM or ADSB could have prevented so my tolerance for the ADSB not working as intended is close to zero. Flight-following and eyeballs alone haven't been enough for thousands of collision victims... For me this is urgent because ADSB traffic is my best defense against some errors by controllers, other pilots and myself.
I am sorry about the loss of your friend while flying but the only way to completely reduce the risk of a mid air is DON'T FLY. ADS-B is a risk reducing piece of equipment, not a risk eliminating one and like all equipment is subject to failure. "See and avoid" is still the best collision avoidance method in existence.

Flying, like everything in life, is an assumption of some level of risk. Each one of us decides what level of risk we are comfortable with then decide what to do. Unfortunately, if you fly long enough you will invariably loose a friend under possibly preventable circumstances as I also have. I have flown more than 25yrs without ADS-B so not having it now doesn't change my risk evaluation. YMMV

:cool:

airguy

I am sorry about the loss of your friend while flying but the only way to completely reduce the risk of a mid air is DON'T FLY. ADS-B is a risk reducing piece of equipment, not a risk eliminating one and like all equipment is subject to failure. "See and avoid" is still the best collision avoidance method in existence.

Agreed. It's sad when it happens, but not even TCAS can remove that risk - only reduce it. You can purchase whatever level of equipment your checkbook allows, to meet whatever level of risk you accept - but you'll never be able to completely eliminate it.

Raymo

I love aviation!
I still have the 470 box in my RV-7A and was surprised the other day to see a plane converging on me while very close to KSAV airspace. We both would have been on radar but he did not show up on my screen. Other targets were present, as was weather.

I suspect the other plane's transponder was in ground mode or turned off and he did not have ADS-B out. Lots of planes will continue to fly without ADS-B out well beyond the 2020 deadline along with no transponder or radio.

ChiefPilot

The FAA itself says ADS-B is advisory in nature, and there is no guarantee that it will show you all traffic and avert a mid-air collision.

If it says something is there, something is there.   But relying on the reverse of that being true, when it most certainly is not, is suspect.

mrdaud

George, I don't mean to be insensitive and am sorry for the loss of your friend, but your comment of "thousands of victims" is a bit misleading.  Statistically, there are about 10 -15 mid-air collisions in the US every year in general aviation (depending on database reviewed), which includes all plane types.  And, not all resulted in fatalities.  That means it would take 66 years to rack up 1000 fatalities.  You are 20 times more likely to die slipping in your bathtub (in the US) than having a mid-air collision.  My guess is that mid-air collisions will only be reduced by a percentage that will be a lot less than 100%, even with ADS-B.  The current rate listed by NTSB is .035 collisions per 100,000 flight hours.  Best to rely primarily on your eyes and the space between your ears!

J

Jrskygod

Dynon why does my map have these diagonal lines??? Also in the second picture what does the blocked area in the lower left of the map tell me???? :-

Attachments

• screenshot-N129BR-SN02426-15_1_0_4329-20170716-092525-107-en_US.png
    screenshot-N129BR-SN02426-15_1_0_4329-20170716-092525-107-en_US.png
    556.5 KB · Views: 142
  • screenshot-N129BR-SN02426-15_1_0_4329-20170722-061643-837-en_US.png
    screenshot-N129BR-SN02426-15_1_0_4329-20170722-061643-837-en_US.png
    642.1 KB · Views: 149

swatson999

Looks like you have weather data turned on (check in the Map-Layers menu, IIRC), and the purle areas are those where no weather data has been received yet.

mrdaud

Anyone having issues with ADS-B weather with the 472?  My original 470 seemed to work well; however, installed the 472 and flew the aircraft on first 472 flight from NC to FL last Monday.  Flew VFR, but the weather was pretty bad.  Didn't see any traffic, but with the bad weather, was not too surprised; cannot report on any traffic issues.  What was of concern was observing obvious nearby thunder storms west of  track, but no depiction showing on the weather overlay.  Any 472 weather experience from anyone?

N214ST - were you seeing the characteristic "purpleish" overlay on the map that depicts areas where weather wasn't being received?

Dynon Support: The plane flew yesterday in some pretty bad weather and the ADS-B weather seemed to work OK. My buddy pilot saw a few traffic icons, but there wasn't much flying so he could not really compare any traffic inputs vs. flight following traffic reports.

A

alexe

Dynon,
The previously stated "week or so" has come and gone. Is Dynon any closer to a path forward to fix the -472?
Thanks,
Alex

Schorsch

On my 472, things usually work fine for 25-30 minutes sometimes an hour and things go haywire. Restart and wait a minute or two and it works again. Buffer overruns?

jlakins

I wanted to add another data point.
I have been seeing traffic disappear and and then a short time later reappear ,all while ADS-B OK displayed on local flights.
At the same time stratux and FlyQ on the ipad was showing the traffic most of which were mode C so I was getting the data from the ads-b broadcast.
Yesterday from southern California to New Mexico at 11500 feet with flight following and no drop outs.
Dynon was showing no radar for most of the trip.
I was still receiving weather updated but of course no traffic.
FlyQ was displaying traffic the whole time but I have no idea how many if any were mode c only.

CGameProgrammer

I love flying!
Is your antenna loose? Mine was; I had to replace it. On the outside of your aircraft, gently tug on the ADS-B in antenna and see if it slides around. It should be solid but mine just slid out.

A

alexe

Dynon,
Could we PLEASE get the current status on your progress resolving the -472 drop out issues? I posted the same question a week ago, but it was ignored. I'm getting frustrated, especially with the lack of communication on the current status.
Alex