Skyview Wish List

rjones560

My only request would be integration with Garmin Pilot via USB Bluetooth module similar to the WiFi adapter currently being offered. I am sure I will receive some slack for this post, but I have never been a fan of ForeFlight. They have just added way too many features over the years without a logical GUI interface... the home menu with simple, logical Iconology in Garmin Pilot is just easier for me. I also prefer the VFR versus IFR cost structure that Garmin Pilot offers, while still retaining a full functioning Synthetic Vision backup AHRS for $100 yearly. Anyhow, I know a lot of you are anti-Garmin, and I understand this would require a GP and Dynon collaboration... but this or at least a GDL-50 ADS-B interface to display traffic and weather output on the Skyview Classic would make my day.
Garmin’s business philosophy is to make it as difficult as possible to use any other equipment with theirs. They also plan on making as much on the various updates for your Garmin products as they do selling them. The updates are a real cash cow for them.

rjones560

Adding to the pile. Provide an option to display temperature in both C and F, at the same time. I have dual HDX and have a yellow sticky on my panel with the corresponding temps. How crazy is that? Ive seen another efis (?) that dispayed both, side by side. Seems simple.
All aviation weather reports are in Centigrade. Why do you want Fahrenheit output. I am 72 and grew up with everything in Fahrenheit. I was glad when surface weather was finally reported in Centigrade.

JohnAJohnson

I love flying!
Have different ranges for large and small obstructions. When setting range for obstructions to say, 20 miles, I get all the little Cell Towers, and of course the big boys too and the screen is completely cluttered with the small towers. I need to see the big towers and don't need to see the small ones at that range, since I don't usually fly around at 200' AGL. If I do fly that low, I can zoom in to a couple of miles and then when the small towers become visible on the screen, it isn't so cluttered. So, different ranges for obstructions over and under 1000' please.

cbailey

I would like to see two features added for Avidyne IFD users. 1. Capstone out from the HDX to push WX and Traffic to the IFD. 2. Accept VNAV Enroute descent data via ARINC. I have a G5 installed (and yes I have two ARINC devices installed, Dynon and GAD29. Both work perfectly.) On the G5 I can see the VNAV Descent on the Glide Path indicator and have to manually follow using V/S (very scary mode). The HDX will not show the Enroute VNAV. If the VNAV information for an approach can be displayed on both, then shouldn't be hard to add the Enroute capabilities. Its interesting that the HDX and G5 display almost the same information except for Enroute VNAV.

One more thing, flip the display of the pitch trim indicator. Its backwards, when trimming up the indicator goes up and visa versa for down. If you look at Ray Allen indicators and other manual indicators its the opposite. Every airplane I have ever flown always has up trim going down and down going up. Its the little things.

rjones560

I would like to see two features added for Avidyne IFD users. 1. Capstone out from the HDX to push WX and Traffic to the IFD. 2. Accept VNAV Enroute descent data via ARINC. I have a G5 installed (and yes I have two ARINC devices installed, Dynon and GAD29. Both work perfectly.) On the G5 I can see the VNAV Descent on the Glide Path indicator and have to manually follow using V/S (very scary mode). The HDX will not show the Enroute VNAV. If the VNAV information for an approach can be displayed on both, then shouldn't be hard to add the Enroute capabilities. Its interesting that the HDX and G5 display almost the same information except for Enroute VNAV.

One more thing, flip the display of the pitch trim indicator. Its backwards, when trimming up the indicator goes up and visa versa for down. If you look at Ray Allen indicators and other manual indicators its the opposite. Every airplane I have ever flown always has up trim going down and down going up. Its the little things.
I really agree about the pitch trim indicator. It is intuitive to mentally put the indicator in the horizontal plane. When you do that it is running backwards. Whoever made the decision to have it run the way is does was either a techy with flight time or a very inexperienced pilot. At the very least they could write software so that we had the option of turning it around so the rest of us experienced pilots could fix it after 480 hours it still drives me nuts. I always have to remember that the indicator is running backwards. ATP with type ratings and 17,000 hours. Every experienced pilot I know hates it the way it is. I helped a Southwest pilot upgrade his analog panel to Dynon and that’s the first thing he said was “Why is the trim indicator running backwards”.

rjones560

I really agree about the pitch trim indicator. It is intuitive to mentally put the indicator in the horizontal plane. When you do that it is running backwards. Whoever made the decision to have it run the way is does was either a techy with no flight time or a very inexperienced pilot. At the very least they could write software so that we had the option of turning it around so the rest of us experienced pilots could fix it. After 480 hours it still drives me nuts. I always have to remember that the indicator is running backwards. ATP with type ratings and 17,000 hours. Every experienced pilot I know hates it the way it is. I helped a Southwest pilot upgrade his analog panel to Dynon and that’s the first thing he said was “Why is the trim indicator running backwards”.

swatson999

There's really only one time that I ever pay much attention to the pitch trim indicator...take-off, to make sure it's at the take-off position. Other than that, it's all by the feel of the stick.

To me, it's an indication of the *effect* on the system, rather than the position of the tab. Up -> nose up, down -> nose down.

airguy

There's really only one time that I ever pay much attention to the pitch trim indicator...take-off, to make sure it's at the take-off position. Other than that, it's all by the feel of the stick.

To me, it's an indication of the *effect* on the system, rather than the position of the tab. Up -> nose up, down -> nose down.
Agreed. That's the way I have mine set.

On a glideslope "up" means up, "down" means down. Same with a localizer "left" and "right". It's about the net effect, not the particular piece of hardware.

rjones560

Agreed. That's the way I have mine set.

On a glideslope "up" means up, "down" means down. Same with a localizer "left" and "right". It's about the net effect, not the particular piece of hardware.
If it was reversible for those of us with thousands of hours in hundreds of aircraft it would be nice. I can understand how someone who has never flown before, or is very low time (less than 1,000 hours) would think that the pitch trim indicator makes sense. For those of us that have been flying over 50 years with mostly analog indicators for a lot of it, the pitch trim presentation is backwards.

Marc_J._Zeitlin

If it was reversible for those of us ... the pitch trim presentation is backwards.
Maybe I'm missing something, but assuming that you're using Ray Allen potentiometers (position sensors) for the input, either re-calibrate in the EMS hardware calibration menu, or just swap the + and - wires into the sensor - then the voltage readings will be reversed (you might ned to re-calibrate after that too, but that's pretty simple).

Why wouldn't that work?

I'm not at my hangar now, but I used a Ray Allen servo for my roll trim. It didn't know (of course) whether servo extend was roll right or roll left, so I must have been able to tell it which voltage level was which direction in calibration. Should be able to do the same thing for pitch... I'll try to remember to check when I'm at the hangar tomorrow, but this seems like a simple swap to me, and not something that Dynon defines - how would they ever know how YOU'VE hooked up your sensors, and in which direction?

rjones560

I would have to look at the wiring of the EMS and the Vertical Power to see which one is controlling the display. I kind of remember that the calibration procedure for the pitch trim had you trim full nose up, then full noes down. I assume the software was looking at the resistance values at both ends to determine the scale. That got me to thinking. Perhaps I could trim full nose up when it asked me to trim full nose down and the opposite of what is asked the other way also. That might turn the sensor display around. I will get into the manual next week when I am at the hanger again and see what happens. The best I can recall is that there is just one wire for trim position. The most indicator is a product of resistive value. However it has been a while (2019) since I installed mine so my recall might be wrong.

Marc_J._Zeitlin

... there is just one wire for trim position. The most indicator is a product of resistive value...
Yes - there is only one sensor wire TO the Dynon EMS. But there's a + and - wire to the other two wires of the sensor - otherwise, it wouldn't get a voltage input to the EMS. So if you swap the + and - wires, the polarity will change. But I still think that this can be done purely in calibration - I'll try to check tomorrow.

rjones560

You could be right! All the trim switch does is change polarity to drive to trim in the opposite direction. However I remember that the trim is run through the Vertical Power Pro. Grounding one wire drives trim in one direction and grounding another drives it in the opposite direction. I don’t need to change the direction the trim moves with the switch. That is correct already. It is the trim indicator I want to flip. That would have to be done through calibration. Flipping the + and - would just get my trim running backwards relative to the switch. However your reply got me to thinking about this from another angle. I will see if I have any luck changing it.

swatson999

If it was reversible for those of us with thousands of hours in hundreds of aircraft it would be nice. I can understand how someone who has never flown before, or is very low time (less than 1,000 hours) would think that the pitch trim indicator makes sense. For those of us that have been flying over 50 years with mostly analog indicators for a lot of it, the pitch trim presentation is backwards.
Tell that to Piper.
s-l1600.png

I may not have flown hundreds of different airplanes like you, but I'm also not brand new to flying, thank you very much.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Monkey,

Beautiful family...good for you!!!

Fun R2 Unit on your airplane

My next wish list item for Cyber Santa is some kind of auto download for the engine data to Savvy...Dynon...here is a real game changer...
This one is in the works :)

vlittle

I would like the configuration screen to allow the user to optionally specify another tone schedule for the aural AOA tone. Just like the config settings allow for specifying various bands for the on-screen engine sensor displays. for example,
1. Below x% of stall: Silent (No-tone)
2. Between x% and y% of stall: below gradually increasing as AOA increases Pulse Repetition Frequency (PRF), from 1.5 Pulses per second (PPS) to 8.2 PPS), 900 Hz tone
3. Between y% and z%: , solid (continuous) 900 Hz tone tone
4. Above z% of stall: very high PRF (~5 pulse/sec) 1600 Hz tone

Where the percentages can be set in configuration as is currently possible in Skyview version 15 ...

The example above is drawn from the design and operation of the AOA tone schedule in the F-4C/D/E Phantom, and as anyone who flew this jet can tell you, it made an enormous difference, not just for avoiding the stall, but for flying the aircraft (irrespective of airspeed, gross weight, bank angle etc.) at the optimum AOA for what you were doing, without monitoring instruments. Flying approaches was especially affected. You could fly an overhead traffic pattern, using a wide range of airspeeds, configurations, at any gross weight, and using whatever bank angles were needed in the turns, without looking inside the cockpit at the airspeed indicator. You just needed to monitor the aural AOA tone and keep it on the steady tone that was set to optimum approach AOA. This allowed you to maintain more continuous visual contact with the runway environment and other aircraft in the airport traffic pattern than would be possible if checking airspeed every few seconds.

Trying to use the existing (Skyview version 15) AOA schedule to do this (without looking inside the cockpit), is helpful, (better than nothing), but not optimal, because I have to set the threshold between the beeping and the continuous tone at the AOA I want to maintain for approaches, and then I need to adjust trim/back stick pressure to maintain the tone on this threshold.. i.e., I need to continually oscillate stick pressure so I am hearing the beeping, and the steady tone, switching back and forth, to know I am at the AOA where the transition occurs.
What you want is provided by www.flyonspeed.org This is open-source technology and won the 2021 EAA Grand Championship Founders Innovation Award at Oshkosh. What we hope is to establish the technology and work with EFIS vendors to adopt it. And yes, it emulates the F4 system.

BradThePilot

Since this is a wish thread, I'll add my wishes:

1) Display advisory enroute VNAV information from the Avidyne IFD series, as has been mentioned.
2) Add a TAS mode to the flight directory/autopilot for climbs as descents. This would work like IAS mode does currently, but adds the ability to track a specific true airspeed.
3) Add a pitch mode to the flight directory/autopilot for climbs and descents. Roll mode is already there, so why no pitch mode?

Marc_J._Zeitlin

3) Add a pitch mode to the flight directory/autopilot for climbs and descents. Roll mode is already there, so why no pitch mode?
Because "pitch mode" (by which I THINK you mean pitch angle/AOA) is equal to IAS mode. No? AOA sets Cl, and Cl sets IAS for a given air density, so, IAS=pitch. "Roll" mode just means keep the wings level - there's no real equivalent in pitch, unless you're referring to "Alt Hold" (which obviously also exists).

BradThePilot

Because "pitch mode" (by which I THINK you mean pitch angle/AOA) is equal to IAS mode. No? AOA sets Cl, and Cl sets IAS for a given air density, so, IAS=pitch. "Roll" mode just means keep the wings level - there's no real equivalent in pitch, unless you're referring to "Alt Hold" (which obviously also exists).
No, pitch is not the same as AOA. Pitch is a specific pitch attitude, while AoA varies based on a number of different factors. Pitch is a commonly used mode of the pt. 121 aircraft I fly, and is completely different/separate from any speed-related modes.

The big advantage of holding a specific pitch is climbing/descending in turbulence. Both IAS and VS speed modes will "hunt" around with a nose-up/nose-down moment even with a properly tuned autopilot; they can't help it, as they are chasing the right pitch attitude to achieve a specific IAS or VS. A direct pitch mode, by contrast, simply holds a 3º (or whatever) pitch attitude and lets the other parameters float around as needed. It's a smoother ride, and frequently done at my airline for that exact reason.